T5442T camera: how to reduce microphone wind noise from the pinhole microphone?

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a IPC-T5442T-ZE camera and it really works great but I'm getting a lot of wind noise from the mic even in relatively low wind. I've searched this forum and others to see if anyone has come up with a solution that doesn't interfere with the IR lights or camera view but I only found solutions that use large foam or fur caps that would fit an external mic but on a camera that uses a tiny pinhole mic in the faceplate. Using something that large would interfere with the camera IR lights and/or the camera view. What are others using?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a IPC-T5442T-ZE camera and it really works great but I'm getting a lot of wind noise from the mic even in relatively low wind. I've searched this forum and others to see if anyone has come up with a solution that doesn't interfere with the IR lights or camera view but I only found solutions that use large foam or fur caps that would fit an external mic but on a camera that uses a tiny pinhole mic in the faceplate. Using something that large would interfere with the camera IR lights and/or the camera view. What are others using?
I’ve been using packing foam left overs from my Pelican cases. I just cut to the diameter needed so it doesn’t block anything. I don’t pretend to know what type of foam Pelican uses but it doesn’t absorb water, dries quickly, UV stable.

I’ve played with various thickness to balance wind noise vs muffling.

The piece you see here is what I ended up with.

The biggest issue I had was balancing the use of 3M VH tape vs Dollar Store.

3M works absolutely fantastic but was really painful to remove if needed. So on a whim dropped by the local Dollar Store and picked up one of their clear gel double sided tape.

Has worked for years . . .

IMG_6371.jpg

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. I'll look into making something similar.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. I'll look into making something similar.
Just one thing to note is having played with various solutions. Ensure you leave a water gap / space as you see in my photo. The foam is installed so the tape sits vertical so any possible snow, ice, water build up will drain away and out.

Since the foam is black it heats up quickly so any moisture dries up quickly in the immediate area. While balancing the possible issue of heat build up in the camera.