Tailscale user help needed

Reaction score
Looking for Tailscale users please.

TS used to work for me but doesn't anymore for some reason, so I'm trying to troubleshoot and I don't understand this very well. I am no longer able to access anything BI from my phone.

I have 2 "machines" in my TS, one is my BI server and the other my phone, so a very simple tailnet. The IP addresses assigned to each machine agrees (is consistent) on all things TS, meaning I see the same IP for my server listed on every TS app, including the online account, the server, and my phone app. TS is switched on and running on both machines.

The IP's listed in BI Web Server however do not match either of the IPs in TS. I tried to manually change the IPs in BI to match those in TS but it keeps going back to the original IP that seems meaningless to me and matches nothing. Those meaningless IPs shown in the BI Web Server LAN and WAN boxes match those shown in the BI phone app.

Should all of those LAN and WAN IPs be the same for TS and BI? i.e., if you look at your TS IPs do they match the ones in your BI Web Server and phone app? If they do match then I need to make mine match too, but how do you do that?

Thank you.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently had some of that trouble, when I switched routers.
I stopped being able to check the Cams while I was driving a Giant Bus in Rush hour traffic. :)
I figured I upset the Tailscale Applecart but didn't have time to fool with it.
the Real Ip address on my LAN of 192.168.0.43 is my PC. My IP of my Blue Iris Pc on the phone app was also 192.168.0.43.
But it would quit working after my WAN IP got changed by Verizon's servers ( not important) every few days or so.
So i updated Tailscale on my PC, and let it do it's thing.
then I had a look at both tails scale apps on the desktop and the phone. I saw how it uses an IP that it creates to
Circumvent the ISP's WAN IP swapping bullshit every few days.
Tailscale Ip's are like " spoofed" IP's in a sense. I don't the " network engineer" vernacular for that but Tailscale
acts as the translator to keep you connected when your ISP does stupid shit.

I noticed other IP's in the Webserver. I figured they were generated by Tailscale.
A couple of IPV6 addresses also show up, but I'm not certified to figure that shit out.
So i compared what tailscale was showing as being connected to in both my phone and on my Desktop PC
...and then chose that IP address in the Blue Iris Web Server settings and checked the Bind Exclusively Box.
BI Webserver needs the Tailscale generated IP to connect your phone when your out and about.
Nows it's been solid for about 9-10 days. So i think I got it.
1717568915114.png
Also compare the phone APP ---->
IMG_0754.png
and the desktop App.
1717569490762.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Flintstone. I went to Web Server, changed the LAN address to a previous one, checked "bind exclusively" and hit OK.
Then I went to the BI phone app, "Get IPS", it brought in the "new" (or is it old?) IP address same as on Web Server, hit Save, then Connect, and it loaded.
I then turned Wifi OFF on my phone to force it into 5G and off of my local network and it also loaded fine.
I went back and repeated all of that with the other IP that used to be in there minutes ago before I changed and the phone app would not connect.
So for whatever reason it likes one IP but not the other even if, in both cases, the IPs match between Web Server and phone app.
Anyway, all is well for now. Thanks again.