Temperature overlay

Reaction score
So I have read a few threads about how to make this happen using raspberry pi or some other coding. But I am wondering, is there just a simple ip cam with temp sensor built in that can do this? I have a few remote locations that would be nice to just throw up a cam instead of a cam/computer/raspberry pi. at each location vs just plugging in a cam.

Reaction score
Thats actually pretty cool, but I am trying to not have a computer at these locations. They have a fiber internet drop, so its nice to just program the camera, and use BI from a remote location, or even as simple as logging into the camera to check.

So here is the scenario. There is a hangar, they want to store fire trucks in it over the winter. The building is insulated but they want to just monitor temp inside the building so the trucks don't freeze. Its a volunteer department in a very rural area so funds are limited. It would be nice to just throw up a $100 camera in the building that shows temp, without having to put a computer in there also which would be more costs.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
interesting question. i think Canary had a model like that:
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B00NW31YSE?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4
and here's a cheap cam (wireless only?) that seems to have temp monitoring:
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B01E0TRQPS
not sure i'd rely on that tho...

Also, the ONVIF spec supports OSD (overlay) commands, so there may be some way to have a stand-alone networked device send an 'update video overlay' message to show temp etc on any ONVIF-compatible camera...

OR, how about a raspberry Pi with a temp sensor? probably $20 to add one to the network.
it could easily update the cam's OSD as well as provide direct measurements...
eg: A Raspberry Pi Thermometer you can Access Anywhere - Hackster.io

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DesertRat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thats actually pretty cool, but I am trying to not have a computer at these locations. They have a fiber internet drop, so its nice to just program the camera, and use BI from a remote location, or even as simple as logging into the camera to check.

So here is the scenario. There is a hangar, they want to store fire trucks in it over the winter. The building is insulated but they want to just monitor temp inside the building so the trucks don't freeze. Its a volunteer department in a very rural area so funds are limited. It would be nice to just throw up a $100 camera in the building that shows temp, without having to put a computer in there also which would be more costs.
I had a similar application awhile back, so I purchased one of these and viewed it with one of my spare cameras. Low tec but it did the job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746GXPF3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.