Thanks

jrczz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just reading through some of your posts has given me an insight to how these cameras work. i have a Swann NVR I got from Swann in a brown box for about 2 bills and 8 cameras I picked from Lowes, real cheap( about 50 bucks a piece) a couple of years ago. I installed the system and mostly love it. I didn't realize the camera's operate on a network, have mac addresses and ip addresses. This opens up a plethora of ideas. Stuff most of you have already, likely done. I have so many questions, for instance When hooking the camera directly to the pc to change the settings do you need to use a straight through cable 568A to 568A on each end or do you need to make a reversing cable 568A to 568B and then provide power with a 12v 2a? power pack with center+ on the auxiliary plug in? I read where some of you guys have apparently flashed NVRs to Linux based OS. As a long time user of Knoppix I love the Idea and have an old HK vision NVR to play with. Thanks for the heads up, even though I'm several years behind this looks like fun.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When hooking the camera directly to the pc to change the settings do you need to use a straight through cable 568A to 568A on each end or do you need to make a reversing cable 568A to 568B
Straight thru....A on both ends or B on both ends (more common in USA)
and then provide power with a 12v 2a? power pack with center+ on the auxiliary plug in?
You got it!

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Last edited: