The right to repair movement

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
From a YouTube comment (User: Terry G)
"Planned obsolescence is one of the worst environmental disasters ever devised. "

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you know that anything with Lifetime Warranty is utter BULLSHIT? :lmao:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Anything with a Lifetime label is known to be crap. There have been lawsuits against companies false advertising and shaving corners off their products.

Reaction score
A lot of times, it is the lifetime of the product
Yes that is quite true!

Garmin GPS units have 'Lifetime Map Updates'.

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to four (4) map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin's website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until the product's useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter.

So when is the useful life expired? When Garmin decides it is old and there are replacement models for sale.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Tom Tom which I bought with free lifetime maps.
Now, the maps are too large a file for my device, so they say, that I have half maps now, and can't cruise the U.S. without running into the end of the world scenario.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As much as I'm not a big fan of google any more due to their politics, their Maps is done pretty well, and has features on it that make it solid on my Pixel3.
sorry. going off topic :nervous:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Tom Tom which I bought with free lifetime maps.
Now, the maps are too large a file for my device, so they say, that I have half maps now, and can't cruise the U.S. without running into the end of the world scenario.
See if you can add a SD card and put the database on it. Gamin will let you on some models.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Things that have a lifetime warranty are deemed to have a compromise somewhere along their manufacturing process. That compromise is generally cheaper materials; this coincides with higher profit margins. So many new brands have popped up on Amazon recently, but the products are all likely to be made under the same roof somewhere in China. Its easier to get a replacement rather than attempt a repair. Nowadays many things slapped with a Made in USA decal will have a little disclaimer at the bottom "made with global materials"
  • Formaldehyde flooring
  • Vinyl windows and sidings
  • Appliances
  • Furnaces
  • The list goes on...

i don't fully believe in the notion of planned obsolescence. while I do believe many companies will make a product that will only last but so long, or worst yet make something super cheap with a high profit margin that when it breaks people will just write it off as a loss.

With that said I think a lot of the planned obsolescence is the fact that eventually something newer and better will come along so any products time in the spot light will always be finite.

as far as lifetime warranties go that always depends on the company itself. For instance Ridgid has a lifetime service agreement but does everything in their power to not honor it. Where as Tekton has a "anytime warranty" which means if you break it they will replace it without needing a proof of purchase.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Things that have a lifetime warranty are deemed to have a compromise somewhere along their manufacturing process. That compromise is generally cheaper materials; this coincides with higher profit margins. So many new brands have popped up on Amazon recently, but the products are all likely to be made under the same roof somewhere in China. Its easier to get a replacement rather than attempt a repair. Nowadays many things slapped with a Made in USA decal will have a little disclaimer at the bottom "made with global materials"
  • Formaldehyde flooring
  • Vinyl windows and sidings
  • Appliances
  • Furnaces
  • The list goes on...
Very useful, thanks!