Thinking of building a Nesting box with Camera, some advice on Camera for it

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I want a nice cheap and cheerful project I can do with the Kids and though of building a Nesting box with a Camera in it.

Looking around at the 'Nice Tiny POE Camera' thread (here), I saw the following camera.

P2p onvif 2 megapixel 1080p / 2mp ir-cut filter home network hd ipc 2.1mm wide angle cctv ip surveillance camera

The only downside is that it doesn't come with a mounting box. So what advice for mounting this and ensuring it's at least slightly protected within the box would be great.

I see that there are other camera's for around the same price, but they have a slightly lower resolution, it's it worth going for one of these instead?

Paul

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if its inside a nesting box then you wont need an IR Cut filter, and you will need IR.. 720p vs 1080p wont be huge difference when everythign it'll ever see is going to be inches away from it.

the ir cut is going to make a click noise that could disturb your guests; and you might want to do 940nm IR for this.. but birds probably can see that too so it might not matter.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i think thats a much better choice, I think ive seen some guys here using that.. iirc one might even be using it for the same purpose you are.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so finally got the cam and have started testing.

It's a nice little thing, buuuut I can only seem to update certain things through ONVIF Device Manager.

So I can update the Name, Network settings and image settings, but I cannot see to do user account settings. Adding/Deleting etc just don't seem to work and as the camera comes with a Blank password, I'm not happy to leave as is.

I can log onto the webgui, bit it's in chinese and there only seems to be options to view on the page.

Any ideas?

Paul

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
open it with IE and go through all the hoops to let the activex plugin startup; then you can switch it to english UI.. without the plugin loaded all you get is a view screen

i just left the blank password and added it to my Dahua NVR Directly w/RTSP stream.. its on its own isolated network w/out internet access so I dont care too much as I assume everything is insecure and force security externally.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr, that did the trick.

Up and running, connect to NVR just fine. :)