This Was A Weird One: Config Changes Wouldn't Stick Through A Reboot

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've this re-labelled Dahua camera that was gifted to me by a brother-in-law that runs a security firm in Europe. Knowing it was really a Dahua cam under the hood, I set out to find out what model it really was so I could find up-to-date firmware for it. I eventually figured out it was a Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS and found updated firmware. But the thing was working well, so, going my the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," I left it alone.

Then this happened.

I'd made a couple changes in motion zones and tripwires. At some point later the camera spontaneously rebooted. Went to refine my config changes this morning, only to discover the old motion and tripwire configs were back. Eh? Did I forget a save? Re-did them. Exited. Went back in. Yup: They'd taken. Then thought "Hmmm..." Rebooted the cam. The old configs were back.

Oh ohhh...

Set to factory defaults, except network and user configs. Rebooted. Old configs were back again.

Figured if I can't re-configure it, it's almost a brick, anyway. So I set it to factory defaults again, crossed my fingers, and updated the cam with the firmware I'd found. Imagine my relief when the thing came back on-line :) But... The old configs were back again!
Set it to factory defaults again and re-booted. Finally it's taking and remembering config changes again.

Not my favorite way to spend my Sunday mornings ;)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Tugs ear, saying sounds like it's a hacked firmware camera.

That said, have you tried IE to set it up with. Some Dahua firmware, if it is legit, is very finicky that way.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had this camera for two years. What I experienced lately had never happened before. I'm thinking firmware bug that finally manifested itself. The camera was acquired by my BIL from a legitimate source. A place from where he acquires much of his kit.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Still sounds really strange to me. I don't think I'd be in any rush to try a firmware upgrade. Have you tried a reset to default and reconfigure it?

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still sounds really strange to me. I don't think I'd be in any rush to try a firmware upgrade. Have you tried a reset to default and reconfigure it?
Yes. I covered that in my OP. Also: Too late on the upgrade suggestion. It was done hours ago. (Also in my OP.)

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i have exactly the same model camera and got exactly the same problem.

similar to yours, 1 factory default dont fix it but a few to solve the problem..

I think i have upgraded the firmware to the following version.

Code:
Device Type
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
System Version
V2.800.0000016.0.R, Build Date: 2020-06-05

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical Dahua firmware trait where some options reset to default after a reboot.