Thoughts: Music Server on Blue Iris Machine?

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a blue iris machine that has been running flawlessly for about 9 months now, with some help from the good folks here. I was surprised at how well it all went, after a bit of reading and planning.

My next home project is to sort out media streaming, mostly music. There are few good music servers out there, and many run on MS Windows. At the moment the blue iris machine is ticking over between 10-20% CPU with my 3 cameras, and about 50% RAM utilisation (8GB installed). I've got 16GB of RAM on hand, and the blue iris machine is on the 'right' network, i.e. the outside network where the wireless router is (cameras on yet another network on the second Ethernet card.

It would be a whole lot easier in terms of time, money and configuration to upgrade the RAM and install the music server on the blue iris machine. I can't think of any good reason not too. Can anyone here think of why this might be a bad idea?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You increase the chance of a compatibility issue by running multiple things on the server, but if you are willing to accept that, then by all means go ahead. Your load is not currently heavy enough to worry about maxing it out.

No need to install more RAM if you are only at 50% utilization. However if your current RAM is not in a dual-channel configuration then there could be some benefit to changing that.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a plex server on mine and it works fine, also I have stadia which is game streaming service which also works great its your choice mate.

8GB i5 2500k is mine.

giangievo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Plex server on BI machine me too, no problems at all with I7-7700 cpu and 16gb ram, cpu usage between 40 and 60% with 21 cameras.....