Thoughts on Network Setup : Hikvision cams w/9664NI-i8 NVR

Reaction score
Hoping for some suggestions here on how to set up the network for a good level of protection from unwanted intrusion, but still manage to access from outside the home when needed.

NVR : Hikvision 9664NI -i8. This model has two separate LAN ports, so I am assuming that can be utilized to help in the setup.

Cameras : All Hikvision, 12x wired IP of various models. Currently these cameras run back into 4 different switches, all located in different parts of the house. It is not going to be possible to cable them all to one single switch in a central location.
Currently, each of these switches are on the main subnet, and are all carrying other devices that are on the main subnet, as well as the cameras. Everything is on 192.168.1.x at the moment.

Router : Araknis 300-RT-4LTW. This has VLAN capability, not currently being used.

Switches : A combination of Araknis and Unifi, all unmanaged.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to easily access the NVR and cameras from within the house (for configuration, and for home automation purposes) and have the ability to view through NVMS on a phone when away from home.

Where would you start, and how would you manage this ?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Preferably, you'd have the NVR and cameras blocked from going onto the internet. Then you would send up OpenVPN on your router and phone, once you're connected via OpenVPN, then you should be able to see the NVR and cameras as the device is on the home network even when the device is across the globe.