Three new Amcrest cameras- testing

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I just purchased three new cameras to play with:

IP5M-B1186EW-28mm 5MP $50
IP8M-2496EB-28MM 8MP $100
IP8M-T2599EW 8MP $100

I have been playing with these inside a little. I am very impressed with the 5MP model. At that price point, it has color in low light situations and was the best at being able to read text at about 10 feet away.

The worst was the 2496EB that needs a good amount of light to get it to see in color. I think I am going to return that one.

Has anyone else used these cameras? interested in knowing what people think.

thanks.

CarlosBarletta

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
These cameras are Outdoor cameras which are designed for exterior conditions. All of our independent testing done here in Houston, Texas are done Outdoors for these cameras.
Please feel free to fill out our Support Form by clicking on this link for support. - Amcrest support. This is the fastest way to get support from our Product Support Team.

Thanks again,
Carlos B.
Amcrest Support: Houston, Texas Escalation Team

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 3 of the 1186, and 1 of the 2599 now. I have 2 of the 1186 running full color on the porch with a 10 watt
corner reflector led up under the eve. They work great for what they cost, half of the starlight + dahua. 5442

My 2599 is used for an overall camera to kind of tie all the rest of the camera areas together during the day.
8Mp at night would take a ton of light.

I like to play with cameras, and have 24 at the present time going into Blue Iris.

CarlosBarletta

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. We honestly do value our customer's real world experiences so we can continue to improve on our Technologies.

Thanks again,
Carlos B.

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have only tested them indoors for the moment. I am probably going to return the 2496.

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are the tech sheets on these. I could not find the one for the 5MP camera so I posted the amcrest description. Seems like the night vision on the turret camera is much better. I am still learning how to read the technical data.

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 3 of the 1186, and 1 of the 2599 now. I have 2 of the 1186 running full color on the porch with a 10 watt
corner reflector led up under the eve. They work great for what they cost, half of the starlight + dahua. 5442

My 2599 is used for an overall camera to kind of tie all the rest of the camera areas together during the day.
8Mp at night would take a ton of light.

I like to play with cameras, and have 24 at the present time going into Blue Iris.
Thanks for the info Old Timer. I am running Blue Iris as well. How long have you had them for?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked up one of the 1186 shortly after they went for sale, then the rest came within a year.
The 8m was at the end of 2019 if I can remember correct.
I use the Dahua 5442 for my low light areas, as it's absolutely awesome for that. Just picked up the amcrest as a
budget model to test before recommending them to customers. I have used the Dahua firmware on a couple so
they would connect to a Dahua NVR. The dahua firmware changes the video file to .dav, so not as easy to play.
FYI, the amcrest NVR does not play well with cameras other then amcrest.:banghead:

Last edited:

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So CarlosB. what is up with the 2496EB. Is it an older camera? Do you have a bullet version of the 2496EB?

CarlosBarletta

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The IP8M-2496EB is an older 4K Camera (Bullet Style). In my opinion it is one of the best ones made due to it's standard bullet like construction. I personally like the compartment under the camera that will accept up to a 128GB Micro SD Card that will allow the camera to be run Stand Alone using a good robust POE Switch for Data and Power. The whole key to the POE Cameras is using a good robust POE Switch and good Ethernet Cables, Cat 6 or Higher. When making Ethernet Cable runs try to stay within 100' Max. I have seen some power degradation going further than that. Then of course you have to have the network backbone to support the high resolution, machine included. I have been here for over 5-Years, this is a great camera value.

Thanks again,
Carlos B.