Time to upgrade my system

Oldman11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 2017 manufactured HIK NVR with 8 POE cameras, all 5mp that seem to work perfectly after some years ago I "lost" the camera password and they all shut down. Thanks to some very clever work by Alistair and a gentleman in Western Australia they got me going again and the system has been faultless since. However, recently an event occurred that needed me to read a license plate of a parked car some 25 meters from the camera in broad daylight - and I could not do it.
So, this got me thinking that it was time to upgrade the specific camera to see what difference 8MP would make. On contacting a local (Australian) reseller he could not tell me if my NVR would work with the cameras as it "may be too old". He was lacking any real interest in solving my problem so I thought I might put it to the forum before taking my business elsewhere.
The NVR is a Model DS-7608NI-12/8P, with a serial number that has the following Code after the year and date of manufacture: CCRR797113694WCVU, Firmware V3.4.95
Is there a way that I can establish that this NVR will work with current camera models, even if only 8MP with infra-Red lighting. I don't need night color though it would be nice, just so long as there is clarity of vision
I note the current cameras seem to all be AcuSense models with additional "smarts", not sure what effect that may have on my NVR which is only recording data already processed and encoded (perhaps the encoded data may not be readable?)
HIK here in Australia will not communicate with mere mortals such as I yet the retail outlets either lack the knowledge (as in my case) or are not licensed to sell the product in Australia, so you buy without proper warranty or support
And HIK don't give a toss.
Any contributions gratefully received

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Itll work just fine, you dont need new nvr.

Some options might be available only on newer firmware,But if you gonna go with acusense cameras you dont need those options on NVR, cameras will handle everything else.