Tinycam Pro on Fire HD 10 tablet for door cam monitor

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a Fire HD 10, 11th gen (3 gig version) to use as a dedicated monitor next to my front door for full time display of just one camera (may consider 2 down the road but 1 will suffice). I've seen discussions about using Tinycam Pro with the fire tablets but nothing specific about this use case or reliability. I'm looking for feedback on this potential setup and any relevant experience in keeping the tablet awake at all times and if a dedicated wifi channel and SSD on 5G for this purpose only will provide sufficient bandwidth and minimal or no lag time. I expect to 3D print a frame and mount it to the wall with a box behind it to provide power. I can also drop POE to this location if anyone has input on doing so. I certainly wouldn't mind wiring it to the LAN but not familiar with the best route to do so or if it is even possible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use Tinycam Pro to stream Blue Iris to a Sony TV (Android) so I'm a fan but....why not just use Silk browser and open up BI's UI3 on the Fire tablet without TC Pro instead?

Hey @looney2ns , is that setup still working for you?

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Tinycam Pro to stream Blue Iris to a Sony TV (Android) so I'm a fan but....why not just use Silk browser and open up BI's UI3 on the Fire tablet without TC Pro instead?
This particular deployment will have only an IP camera (a 2nd may be deployed down the road but not likely), a recycled combination router/switch/AP and a tablet for 24/7 viewing on a very tight budget. There isn't/won't be internet or another computer either.Would BI need to be the paid version and hosted off the tablet? I'm open to more detail of what you are proposing.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
BI doesn't run on a tablet. You'd have a server somewhere that the tablet accesses via browser. Not something you want to do for a single cam. But you posted in the BI subforum so was assumed.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Mike A. said it OK for me, I assumed you were using BI since you posted on a BI sub-forum for the Android version of the BI app that MUST "talk" to a BI server PC.

But since TC Pro is a bargain, you're pretty safe in picking it up, put it on the tablet, give the tablet a static IP, the cam a static IP, the wireless router also a static IP, all unique and in the same subnet and watch to your heart's content. If the router doesn't offer an "AP mode", just turn off it's DHCP and give its LAN a static IP as I mentioned.

Plug the cam's POE injector or POE switch into the router's LAN port, WAN port will remain unused. Normally it's not advisable to run cam video through a router's switch but since we're talking only one cam (for now) it should be OK.

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone and my apologies about overlooking that I input it in the BI sub. I was scanning for a proper forum and overlooked BI when I saw Android. Mods, please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate sub.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone and my apologies about overlooking that input it in the BI sub. I was scanning for a proper forum and overlooked BI when I saw Android. Mods, please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate sub.
Hey, no biggie.
Did you get some useful feedback?

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, @looney2ns confirmation that things will work and your info on the setup is exactly what I was looking for:headbang:. I just ordered the tablet which will arrive just in time for me to install it before Christmas. What would be the appropriate forum to use if I have any further questions about this particular setup?