Tired of Hikvision apps and need a change

philtaylor

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been tearing my hair out at Hikvision for a lot of reasons( the main reason being it won't unlink the unit not even with an SDAP it thinks I'm in America and I can't delete the account, and unit won't unlink it ) and desperately need to change DVR
All My Cameras are Hikvision (5mp) and so far I have my eye set on this. Annke 8Channel 4k.

I asked the people selling the DVR if it's OK and they said it'll be fine but thought I'd check here before splashing out.
All I want to do is for my other half and self to be able to view the cameras on a phone. This should not be mammoth task Hikvision have turned it into.

Am I asking for trouble or not?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many Annke units are made by Hikvision, so you may experience similar frustrations...and if it isn't Hikvision OEM, then you may lose features of the cameras you have. You should match camera and NVR brands to ensure compatibility even if they are both ONVIF compatible.

Since you are not fond of the NVR software....Consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is a stripped down computer after all....and isn't true plug-n-play like people believe. You still have to dial the cameras into your setting. Once you do that, might as well go with something that has the best chance of working with many different camera brands. And I have found Blue Iris to be more robust and easier than an NVR. As always, YMMV...

Many of us purchase a refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it. You can pull the cameras from the Hikvision NVR right into Blue Iris by simply adding in the IP address of the NVR in the camera IP address of Blue Iris and then down about halfway is a camera # and you just select the camera number to bring in.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV...

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure, and then you have a more powerful NVR with a nice mobile viewing interface.

philtaylor

n3wb
Reaction score
All I want to do is be able to see my cameras on a phone for myself and part. This should not be hard work and an international headache.