TONIGHT.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Had a nice clear night but now it's clouding up. Doubt I could see anything here anyway. Too much light from the city and too far south. I've only seen them once and it was just a faint pink and green glow in the sky. I envy you guys who have good views. Post the captures!

Reaction score
I went out on a dark country road--- it was unreal!! Lots of pulsing and waves moving across the sky... I actually had light SOUTH of me instead of just in the distance to the North...WOW!!

I did not have an interesting foreground to use, but straight up was really crazy!
DX6A1622r.jpg

DX6A1629r.jpg
DX6A1623r.jpg

DX6A1614.JPG

This shot is looking SOUTH-SW -- The EDGE of the aurora was South of me near the center of South Dakota...
DX6A1632r.jpg

EDIT: Last one. A cell phone shot from my back deck a few minutes ago... Still a lot of green glow up North even with the light pollution in town.

1682317769749.png

EDIT:
the pics (except the last one from my Pixel 7) were taken with a Canon 7D MkII with a 14mm MANUAL lens. F2.8, ISO 1000, and either 10 or 15 seconds for exposure.
That let the camera sensor gather Lots of light. Still-- the aurora itself was throwing enough lumens to feel like moonlight--or maybe moonlight with a thin overcast. You could actually see pretty good after your eyes adjusted.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome dude! just Awesome. Here what my porch cam could see. not as spectacular but I was a bit excited to capture it. select 1080. It looks better speeded up.
Brighter shimmery highlights were 2;28-2:32 Am scrub to that.
(edit-Youtube downrezzed it dammit oh well)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome dude! just Awesome. Here what my porch cam could see. not as spectacular but I was a bit excited to capture it. select 1080. It looks better speeded up.
Even sped up it still looks like crap compared to @sdkid pics LOL.

I mean yours are better than mine because I couldn't see it, but not by much LOL

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
looks better in the console sped up. You tube lowered resolution a bit...
I was cloudy or partly cloudy except from about 2:20 to about 2:50 and so i was lucky to see it at all.
Now i have to buy a sky view cam looking North....:)

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
These were the highlights we got. This is just barely north of the "view line" on the map shown above so there's actually very little of this visible with the naked eye.

Source files are attached (H.265 Blue Iris exports).

Attachments

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for all the guys posting the Aurora pictures and videos. It looks mesmerizing!

I went out to the front yard last night and didn't see shit probably because too much light. :banghead: