Too many hard drives

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue Iris only had 13 Aux drives. I have 20 HDs. Any thoughts on how to handle this? One thought was a Raid 5 for some of the drives as one large drive for some of the cameras. Thanks!

Bruce_H

n3wb
Reaction score
Why would you think that you need a separate drive for each Aux Folder, are your HD,s mechanical or SSD and what size, how much data do you want to store and for how long, how many cameras? Are the drives all in the BI PC or in some sort of NAS or external system?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have mine set up as JBOD in the Windows Disk Manager.

I think I have 7 drives lumped together as one big drive.

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have mine set up as JBOD in the Windows Disk Manager.

I think I have 7 drives lumped together as one big drive.
Would that be a raid 0?

Never mind, I just looked. They are one but independent. This could be a good option for me. Thank you!

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before I got a purpose bought desktop for BI, I repurposed an old file server I had laying around. It had 16x 3tb drives. I was quite pleased with Drivepool. I combined them all into one big drive, It doesn't have parity drives but the files can be duplicated. I set duplication at 3. It cut my storage size by 3 but I could live with that. I still had plenty of storage and had redundancy. All drives were formatted in NTFS so they could always be plugged into another computer if needed. It was $30 well spent.

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before I got a purpose bought desktop for BI, I repurposed an old file server I had laying around. It had 16x 3tb drives. I was quite pleased with Drivepool. I combined them all into one big drive, It doesn't have parity drives but the files can be duplicated. I set duplication at 3. It cut my storage size by 3 but I could live with that. I still had plenty of storage and had redundancy. All drives were formatted in NTFS so they could always be plugged into another computer if needed. It was $30 well spent.
Thank you. I’ve been looking at drivepool as an option.