Too tired or drunk to hear / realize?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My FlagCam caught this tonight as it was getting dark (yes, I know...the azalea needs trimming) but I could hear it inside the house. Some fool pulling a boat & trailer up the hill from the ramp at the lake 400 yards away forgot to lift his outboard motor up and secure it. The F-250 Super Duty could care less and the prop carved 2 gouges up the hill and out of sight. I could hear him all the way. Either his radio was blaring or he was too drunk to notice. Either way, he's in for a surprise later!

Short video below followed by a still image made with my phone:

View attachment FlagCam_053122_1814.mp4

053122_1814_outboard-prop_med.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He could have used one of these, an adjustable transom saver. I found one 10 years ago at the end of my driveway at the road where somebody lost it. It's still in my garage.

This guy may have had one but was too drunk to put it in and secure it....who knows!

transom-saver.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Neither of our boats and motors of the '60's were large, just average; a 16 ft aluminum with 40 HP Mercury then a 18 ft. fiberglass with a 70 HP Mercury. In both cases you'd tilt up the motor by hand and slide a pin in the transom mount so it'd stay raised up and the prop would clear the ground by 1 to 2 feet. It was the same pin that when you put the motor in reverse the pin, in its lower position, would be grabbed by the mechanism so the motor wouldn't try to climb up in the water but instead its thrust would pull the boat backwards. The pin would just be moved manually from a low point against the transom (motor down) to the highest point when out of the water and trailering (motor up).

I've been away from boats and outboards like forever but IIRC most of the big motors nowadays, like 125 HP and up, can be raised electrically by push button.

Last edited: