Trigger Remote Alarm

Jim Grady

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I have BI set up monitoring my shed and it send an alert to my mobile if any motion is detected.

It would be nice if it would trigger an alarm sound (or similar) in the shed as well.

Can you get BI to output to a camera speaker or trigger an affordable remote alarm? How do people usually do this?

The BI software is running in the house and is a long way from the shed. :-(

Thanks in advance.

Jim

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Jim Grady Yes, it's possible. Open camera properties and goto it's Alerts tab. See screenshot:

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 7.43.02 AM.png

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Jim Grady Personally, I don't use PC speaker because my BI PC is too far away. I do have Vera home automation, which can control all my Zwave wall switches and power outlets. In my case, when BI detects motions, it sends a web services call (also configured in the above screen) to Vera. Vera turns on a Zwave outlet which powers an alarm siren. The siren is loud (100db). Vera will turn off siren after X minutes.

Jim Grady

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your responses. I like the idea of sending the alarm to the camera speakers, I forgot that option was there. Last time I tried this I couldn't get this to work. How would I know if the camera has a compatible speaker? Are there camera models that anyone would recommend for this feature? Thanks

Jim

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Jim Grady I don't have a camera with speaker so I can't answer that question. As noted above, I use Vera home automation. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Jim Grady Another idea: if your camera has alarm I/O pins, you can then connect to a relay which can turn on a local siren. Then you could possibly trigger this camera I/O pin via BI. See screenshot below. (Again, I'm not doing siren this way because I have a Vera, but you should maybe look into this.)

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 8.13.58 AM.png