Trigger settings to prevent bugs setting off alarms?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Evening all, I did some looking and couldn't really find an answer. I have a problem with all my night cams constantly going off and recording because of bugs flying in front of the screen. How should I set my settings to prevent these things from happening? I figured it would be pixel travel time, but it's sort of complicated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The easy way to do that is to use auxiliary IR illuminators and shut off the IR in the cameras. Locate the auxiliary illuminators two feet or so away from the camera and you won't have bugs buzzing the camera all night and spiders building webs on it to catch those bugs.

Last edited:

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The easy way to do that is to use auxiliary IR illuminators and shut off the IR in the cameras. Locate the auxiliary illuminators two feet or so away from the camera and you won't have bugs buzzing the camera all night and spiders building webs on it to catch those bugs.
Not trying to hijack, but will an auxiliary Illuminator work for a camera being used for LPR? I notice that even with Deepstack, I am missing alerts once it gets dark.
Aside from the brands mentioned above, are there any other to consider? Also, are these illuminators POE, and do they stay on all the time, or can you set up times?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack, but will an auxiliary Illuminator work for a camera being used for LPR? I notice that even with Deepstack, I am missing alerts once it gets dark.
Aside from the brands mentioned above, are there any other to consider? Also, are these illuminators POE, and do they stay on all the time, or can you set up times?
What does your motion setting look like for the LPR cam at night? I have the min size just smaller than half a plate and the make time of 0 seconds and I get them all.

Yes, they will work for LPR, but keep in mind that if your distance is greater than probably 50-75 feet, you probably want a more powerful one. I tried those above and at my distance I couldn't see a difference.

@biggen got one made just for LPR

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What does your motion setting look like for the LPR cam at night? I have the min size just smaller than half a plate and the make time of 0 seconds and I get them all.

Yes, they will work for LPR, but keep in mind that if your distance is greater than probably 50-75 feet, you probably want a more powerful one. I tried those above and at my distance I couldn't see a difference.

@biggen got one made just for LPR

Thanks @wittaj. I will have to check out the motion settings tomorrow as you mentioned. I have that camera (I even think you helped me dial it in when I first got it) cloned and running Deepstack. When you mention motion, I’m assuming it’s the motion setting in Blue Iris? If so, the min size is set fairly small. Would the contrast setting make any difference?
And after glimpsing at the post you linked to, it seems like I would need to have a custom one built to work. Even then, I don’t think it would work due to the mounting necessities.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I set my contrast low. Here are my settings. I have a zone A that is basically a diagonal blob so that it doesn't trigger early on a head or taillight. By the time the head or tail light are in the zone, the plate would be in the field of view.

1661911378881.png

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I set my contrast low. Here are my settings. I have a zone A that is basically a diagonal blob so that it doesn't trigger early on a head or taillight. By the time the head or tail light are in the zone, the plate would be in the field of view.

View attachment 138476
Ahhh; that could be it right there. My contrast is set way higher if memory serves correct. Maybe just a little under halfway. I will definitely change that. Plus I think that my min size could shrink down more.
As far as zones, I removed all of those on the clone as indicated in the fine tuning Deepstack video below. Funny thing is, the BI user forum mentions adding zones in as a pro tip, lol. Guess I’ll revert to that; during the day it is flawless. I have several other questions about fine tuning Deepstack after making adjustments per the video, but I’ll save that for another post. Thanks again!