Trouble Connecting to VPN through WiFi - Need Assistance

Reaction score
I've been using a VPN service to enhance my online security and privacy. Normally, I connect to the VPN without any issues using my wired connection. However, when I switch to WiFi and try to establish a VPN connection, I run into problems. The connection either takes forever to establish or it doesn't connect at all. This happens regardless of the WiFi network I'm using, whether it's my home network Licenses Renewal DMVNOW or a public hotspot. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem where connecting to a VPN through WiFi is a lot trickier than through a wired connection? I'm wondering if there's something about WiFi settings that might be causing this. Maybe there's a port or protocol that needs to be open for the VPN to work seamlessly over WiFi? Or could there be some interference or compatibility issues between the VPN software and WiFi networks?

Last edited:

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure how this is related to Blue Iris... could you elaborate?

I'm guessing that you are using a laptop, yes? At home using a wired connection and when 'out' using WiFi.

Once you've connected to a WiFi service, and any requirement thereof to authorize yourself to that network there shouldn't be anything unique or different from a wired connection. Are you positive that one connected wirelessly you do in fact have access to the internet? Can you successfully access a website; Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc?

Describe the process step-by-step you follow when attempting to connect to your VPN.

Which of the VPN providers are you using?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no technical difference between a "wifi" connection and a hardwired connection when it comes to VPNs. The way you are connecting to the local network might be different, but your device shows up on that local network in the same way - regardless of the connection method. Hopefully that makes sense.

I really only have one suggestion - check to see what IP network address schemes you are using. In order for a VPN to connect reliably, each portion of the VPN network needs to be on a unique address subnet. There are three main parts of the VPN connection: the network you are trying to connect to (ie your home network), the VPN tunnel (your set this subnet in the VPN settings), and the network you are using to create the connection from (ie the coffee shop's network). For example, if your home network subnet uses the same IP addresses as the network you are trying to use to connect (ie the coffe shop's network) it won't work.

If you are using a "common" network subnet for your home network/VPN tunnel or one that is used by default by a lot of network routers (such as 192.168.1.X/24 or 192.168.0.X/24), it is quite possible that the local network you are trying to connect from is also using the same subnet. You can confirm this by looking at the assigned IP address of the device you are using while it is connected to that local network. For this reason, I would suggest that you change your home network/VPN tunnel address scheme to something that is not "common" or used by default by a lot of routers.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably has to do with network adapter binding or metric.

What VPN service are you using?