Trouble connecting with mobile devices, and other issues..

mrdizle

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening, hoping someone can help with an issue I've been having. I have Blue Iris 4.xx , Hikvision cameras, and a Netgear R7500 router.
I have one camera connected to the router in the garage. The others are either on powerline or MoCA. My server is in the basement connected with MoCA.

Periodically, I lose the ability to connect via my phone app or its web browser. I have an Android but the same happens with my wife's iphone. I can still use my hard wired desktop to connect with the browser.

Interestingly however at the same time, the garage camera directly connected to the router disconnects from blue iris but the other 3 still work , even though all four have received IP addresses.

It is almost as if the router is preventing all wireless devices from communicating with my blue iris server during these downtimes, but wired LAN still allowed to continue (maybe wired connections are bypassing the router?). Internet thru the router still works though.

And why does the router connected camera stop communicating with the blue iris server?

Any ideas? Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, get the cameras off the router as consumer grade routers are not known for being efficient at passing data so you are probably hitting an issue with data bandwidth regardless of what the router is rated for.

Second, you should isolate the cameras from the internet so that they are not phoning home and exposed for ill-intent by hackers looking for IP address to deploy DoS attacks.

Third, the wifi is only going to be as fast as the slowest device sending and receiving data, so if the connection is weak it can bring the wifi to a halt and could be an issue when looking at BI on your phone - unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer up video, surveillance cameras do not.

It would help the network folks here if you drew up a networking diagram of your system, complete with the internal IP addresses to get a full picture of your system.

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system providing these ranges (basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Last edited: