trying to configure nvr.

mackmadera

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought this NVR on Amazon. Amazon.com

It has 8 POE ports and supports a total of 16 cameras (8 plugged into the NVR's POE ports, and 8 more connected to my network. I can enter the IP addresses, which start with 192 and are assigned by my router's table. My router is 192.xxx.xx.1. The 8 poe ports on the NVR are 172.xxx.xx.1. The only thing that can see the cameras connected to the POE ports on the NVR is the NVR itself. I'm running Blue Iris, but when I try to discover, it only sees the camera ip's starting with 192. What I'm trying to do is record the video stream from the cameras connected to the NVR's ip ports to another server running blue iris. I've tried changing the IP address of the NVR to start with 192, but it won't all that. Hope this isn't a confusing way to say this.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mackmadera

n3wb
Reaction score
I can see that this isn't just my issue. Apparently the NVR protects the addresses it assigns from the network. I don't have to to mess with it. For $80, I bought an HKVision NVR off Amazon. Has no ports, but I don't need them. The POE ports on the NVR are iffy and problematic.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I'm trying to do is record the video stream from the cameras connected to the NVR's ip ports to another server running blue iris.
FWIW, if the NVR has a RTSP stream out you can stream all 8 of the 192.XXX.XXX.XXX cameras to Blue Iris from the NVR's LAN; all 8 cam channels would use the NVR's LAN IP but each would have a different "Cam #" chosen from a drop-down menu in Blue Iris at "Camera settings" => "Video" tab => "Configuration" button.

mackmadera

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, if the NVR has a RTSP stream out you can stream all 8 of the 192.XXX.XXX.XXX cameras to Blue Iris from the NVR's LAN; all 8 cam channels would use the NVR's LAN IP but each would have a different "Cam #" chosen from a drop-down menu in Blue Iris at "Camera settings" => "Video" tab => "Configuration" button.
IMG_2956.jpegIMG_2957.jpegIMG_2958.jpeg

mackmadera

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to stream out the NVR's 172.xxx.xx.xx (NVR POE) cameras out to the 192.xxx.xx.xx network.

If I could just disable the NVR POE camera address, I could use it as an 8 channel NVR, sucking in camera feed from the IP cameras on the network. Unfortunately, whoever set this up has my number. It will have 8 empty spots. For the $75 Amazon sells the 16 channel NVR recorder for, I bought one tonight. I've got a lot of IP cameras and a couple of these would be quite useful.

mackmadera

n3wb
Reaction score
It sees the NVR, but none of the cameras. I've tried many iterations without avial. Thanks for trying brother! But at some point my time is worth too much. I bought two 16 camera NVR's with no POE ports. Putting 10 TB drives in them and forgetting it. I am running Blue IRIS as well on a dedicated server to do some AI analysis on my feeds. Win some, lose some. I lost with this NVR.

mackmadera

n3wb
Reaction score
A bit more playing with it and I'm able to get 16 IP cameras on this NVR without using any of the POE ports. So no harm, no foul :). I'm converting all of my wiring to POE and using the splitters to power the cameras that aren't made for POE. For $25 you can get an 8 port POE switch. This stuff is really getting inexpensive. Now for a couple of 10TB hard drives and I'm all hooked up.