Turn on indoor camera when leaving home

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an indoor camera that is set up in BI but never records unless we leave the house for an extended period of time (trip of a day or more).
I have to manually go in and turn on the trigger I've set up for it as well as the sound trigger and then when I come home I need (want) to turn both of them off again.
The thought is if someone breaks into the house the camera will of course record them or if someone smashes the window the camera is also triggered that way.
Is there any way I can add this camera to my Alexa guard (I'm leaving) routine to enable both triggers when I leave and disable them when I tell Alexa I'm home now?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can set up geofence within BI.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apart from Geofence with BI, I can think of some feedback from your house alarm.
Either an input or network signal from your house alarm to tell the recording device that you've set the alarm.

Similar to this; I remember a post were someone had their indoors cameras on a POE switch. The POE switch only received power when the house alarm was set.
The main purpose to this approach was for complete privacy when occupants are home.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there any way I can add this camera to my Alexa guard (I'm leaving) routine to enable both triggers when I leave and disable them when I tell Alexa I'm home now?
I don't have an alexa but surely you can get it to run a HTTP command to BI that enables / disables the relevant cameras.

Raisy

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a good idea to turn on the camera when an alarm is triggered.