two cams facing opposite directions to cover driveway

26vLHz

n3wb
Apr 29, 2015
purchased a IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2 to put on one side of house, where the driveway runs along that side, facing east and want to get another one to position at other end of that side of house facing west. ppl always seem to park when delivering or pulling up where you can't see the occupant exiting/entering vehicle on many occasions with my one and only old camera out there.

two IPC-B52IR-Z12E would suffice in this cross-fire type situation for license and face recognition?

tia

Yes the Z12E is the go to for capture images to read plates.

Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras or more.

One or two cameras for LPR (one each direction) and one or more cameras to IDENTIFY or OVERVIEW the area.

For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.

Yes the Z12E is the go to for capture images to read plates.

Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras or more.

One or two cameras for LPR (one each direction) and one or more cameras to IDENTIFY or OVERVIEW the area.

For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.

understood regarding the Z12E and requiring two along with your tips. there is probably a few threads on ipcamtalk that would help ppl with the Z12E to fine tune them?

regarding general overview for that area, would the T54IR-ZEB-S3 work well? i have a couple of those. if not, what would be your recommendation pls?

thank you
wb

Yes, there are threads in the LPR subforum I linked with numbers to start with.

The 54IR-ZE is a great camera, but most wouldn't waste the zoom using as an overview camera. But if you have a few laying around and point them to pinch points, that could work as well.

This is the current go to for general overview - wide angle eliminates the need of multiple cameras. But this camera does not see infrared, so you would need to either have enough light or be willing to use the built-in white lights.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.