Ubiquiti nanostation AC LOCO

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey guys
So I have 2 ubiquiti nanostation ac locos. I have them setup and connected to eachother inside. Soon I'm going to be installing them outside. Sender is going here on the mount arm of my dahua ptz and the other where the red X is on the attached picture.. How hard is it going to be to get them to line up? Should I use a laser at night to line up? Anyone have any tricks and do then need to be dead on locked in to get signal this far?
Thanks

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How far? There is no attached picture.

Nanostations are fairly wide angle so you will be fine just eyeballing it unless you are really pushing the limits of their range.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
How far? There is no attached picture.

Nanostations are fairly wide angle so you be fine just eyeballing it unless you are really pushing the limits of their range.
Haha damn , now look

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that range should be no problem at all if they are pointed in the general direction of each other. In fact once you put them up you might consider reducing each one's output power so the received signal is about 30 dB higher than the noise floor.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that range should be no problem at all if they are pointed in the general direction of each other. In fact once you put them up you might consider reducing each one's output power so the received signal is about 30 dB higher than the noise floor.
Thanks man. I'm sure I'll be picking your brain on settings once mounted

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a temp setup, It was inside a older building and I used a spring loaded shower curtain rod as a mount in the window frame shooting through the glass window to a out building, The out building was say 350' away. I just eyed them and they worked awesome. The "TEMP" setup turned out to be about a year and I went back to check on them and the Company hired window cleaners to clean the inside and outside, The NVR was located inside where the Curtain rod was, When I walked in I saw the screen and all 4 cams were on the screen no issues but the cleaning company had turned the radio 180" facing away from the other building and it still worked, that end was the receiving end.
Its pretty hard to screw up.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a temp setup, It was inside a older building and I used a spring loaded shower curtain rod as a mount in the window frame shooting through the glass window to a out building, The out building was say 350' away. I just eyed them and they worked awesome. The "TEMP" setup turned out to be about a year and I went back to check on them and the Company hired window cleaners to clean the inside and outside, The NVR was located inside where the Curtain rod was, When I walked in I saw the screen and all 4 cams were on the screen no issues but the cleaning company had turned the radio 180" facing away from the other building and it still worked, that end was the receiving end.
Its pretty hard to screw up.
Awesome!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sender is going here on the mount arm of my dahua ptz and the other where the red X is on the attached picture..
What picture?
How hard is it going to be to get them to line up?
Easy peasy. ;)

CONFIGURE & TEST:
Set up and bench test before installing, configure as here.
Feel free to change their network IP's to jive with your subnet.
Make sure the link is working on the bench, just pointed up to your ceiling, a few feet apart, before mounting.

MOUNT:
Make sure they're both plumb.
Point them visually toward each other but keep mount loose enough to rotate.
Go to receiver (Station) and log into it, launch antenna alignment app built into AirOS using the webGUI, rotate Station to max signal, tighten mount.
Go to transmitter (Access Point) and log back into Station over the link, launch antenna alignment app built into AirOS using the webGUI, rotate Access Point to max signal, tighten mount.

EDIT: now that I see how close they are to each other (after you posted the picture), @bp2008 is spot on: visual alignment good enough and max power likely not needed.

Last edited:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
What picture?

Easy peasy. ;)

CONFIGURE & TEST:
Set up and bench test before installing, configure as here.
Feel free to change their network IP's to jive with your subnet.
Make sure the link is working on the bench, just pointed up to your ceiling, a few feet apart, before mounting.

MOUNT:
Make sure they're both plumb.
Point them visually toward each other but keep mount loose enough to rotate.
Go to receiver (Station) and log into it, launch antenna alignment app built into AirOS using the webGUI, rotate Station to max signal, tighten mount.
Go to transmitter (Access Point) and log back into Station over the link, launch antenna alignment app built into AirOS using the webGUI, rotate Access Point to max signal, tighten mount.
Picture in original post, I have them working inside across the living room.. I'll definitely me coming back for some guidance once I grow some balls and get up to the dahua ptz it's on my garage peak about 20ft up. I'm junk with heights

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These Loco's are very forgiving. I have 1 as a station and 2 remotes. 1 remote is 200 yards away and is off 30 degrees horizontal angle from the station and it works great.