Ubiquiti nanostation ac Loco

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have never used these before so I'm hoping someone that has could answer some questions.

I want to connect 4 cameras on a garage that are connected to a poe switch with no nvr. I would like to send the signal over to the main building where the nvr is so that all cameras are on the same NVR.

If I buy two of these, mount one on the outside of the garage connect it to the POE switch do I need the passive poe adapter that they sell or would I be able to plug directly into the 802.3af POE switch to send the cameras video to the main building?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You have to use the PoE injector supplied with the Nano Loco. Ubiquity, in their "infinite" wisdom is using 24vdc rather than 48vdc for their PoE devices. There's a thread here, a recent one as in last week, where someone plugged a Nano Loco into a regular PoE switch and fried it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
According to datasheet here, the Loco uses a 24VDC POE supply and it is NOT included with the Nanostation Loco; it IS included with the larger Nanostation (non-Loco, if that's a word). The suggested POE injector is like this.

EDIT: Ubuititi does make a 802.3af to 24VDC adapter, I'll post the link when I find it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have to use the PoE injector supplied with the Nano Loco. Ubiquity, in their "infinite" wisdom is using 24vdc rather than 48vdc for their PoE devices. There's a thread here, a recent one as in last week, where someone plugged a Nano Loco into a regular PoE switch and fried it.
Oh jeeez! So glad I asked first.
Is there any reason at all plugging the passive POE injector into the POE switch would NOT be recommended?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought my Loco Nanos as a pair and they both came with Ubiquity PoE injectors. Just be sure what port you use for the network switch and which port for the PoE adapter. Other than that, no problems. Both of mine are attached to PoE switches.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought my Loco Nanos as a pair and they both came with Ubiquity PoE injectors. Just be sure what port you use for the network switch and which port for the PoE adapter. Other than that, no problems. Both of mine are attached to PoE switches.
Did they come with the passive POE injectors or the 8023af POE injectors Tony linked above?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
They have, what looks like, a regular old brick style PoE injector with a Ubiquity logo on them. Two ports, one for network and one for the Loco plus a power connector. If you want, I'll crawl under my desk and take a photo if it helps.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks so much Tony. So this should plug directly into the 8023af POE switch and then the nanostation?
Yes, That's my understanding.

All the 2 dozen Nanostations and Nanostation Locos I bought always came with the 24V POE injectors but when the "AC" versions came out, many did NOT include them as evidenced by the datasheet I linked.

Perhaps complaints prompted their inclusion....you'll likely have to ask, I would make no assumptions at this point.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct. Worked right out of the box and is still working like a champ. Other than the supplied PoE voltage it's not different from a camera using a PoE injector.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct. Worked right out of the box and is still working like a champ. Other than the supplied PoE voltage it's not different from a camera using a PoE injector.
I figured so, was just wanting to clarify for @rufunky .

It's likely that the UBNT injector could care less about non-data signals on any incoming pins of the "LAN" port.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you mind linking me to the exact kit you got?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So it looks like the passive POE injector will work with the 8023af POE switch? Just want to be sure I got this correct.
Apparently so, as stated by @sebastiantombs in posts #7 and #12.
The 802.3af POE switch connects to the Ubiquiti POE injector's "LAN" port, it's "POE" port to the Loco radio.