Ubiquiti question or general wifi

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried setting up a ubiquiti loco m5 nanostation today between two buildings. One both buildings are wood paneling on the side and the antennas are next to outside wall on inside of building. There are two small buildings in between them, with one being thick limestone or stone and the other is wood siding. It does not get a signal between the two buildings and I think the frequency is too high. There is no line of sight between the buildings and I don't have an option to put it on a pole. I believe there is a sidewalk blocking the patch if I try trenching it, option is I could dig under the sidewalk. I would rather not trench the wire but I will if I need to.

Other option is to try a locom2. Ive used them in the past through buildings but not thick stone or rock. The distance total is probably less than 100 feet for a straight line to the building.

Any other wireless or ideas that don't involve trenching.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5Ghz Point to Point wifi requires line of sight.. 2.4GHz is alot more forgiving to obstructions but 5GHz is pretty intolerant of them... the lower the frequency the more the signal will penetrate through objects, but its also got lower bandwidth.. in general point to point WiFi only really works with LOS, and if you dont have it then dont bother with it.

a 100ft trench is not so bad, ive dug em by hand that long in loamy soil really fast.. clay on the other hand, rent a trencher.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to look at the area again tomorrow and see what I can come up with. How hard you think it would be to shove a piece of conduit under a sidewalk? Shouldn't be too bad for a normal width sidewalk I don't think.

I have access to free trenchers if needed though so I probably will be using one :)

Plus I got plenty of conduit from my last project left over that I can use. I even looked at the 900mhz ones and those are pricy. All I need is enough speed to view two cameras that are on substream or streaming.

We are well under way with a local veterans memorial that I am donating time and resources (camera , wire, nvr and so on) towards.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not too terribly hard to go under a sidewalk, if its not up against a building.. then trench up to both sides, then get into the trench with a digging pole like these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_277876-42268-TB-175-LW+33382_1z0wgdt__?productId=3055437&pl=1

then just hammer the bitch through, pull it back out and run the conduit through the cavity you vacated.. probably a good idea to aim for the middle of the slab and not an expansion joint.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.