Ubiquiti UDM router -> Radius VPN Server <- Google Pixel 3 smartphone = no go

Reaction score
Spent a good 4 hours this Tuesday evening trying to setup up a VPN between my new Ubiquiti UDM router using the internal Radius VPN server using L2TP/Ipsec. Coming from an Asus router that had the OpenVPN wizard to work with, I had no problem initially setting up the UDM for a Radius VPN server (well, it was not super hard). However, the built in VPN client software in Android 9 & 10 (simply called "VPN") kept disconnecting after 90 seconds, on the dot. After hours of searching, it appears there is a bug in Android 9/10 specifically on the Pixel 3/3a phones using the L2TP/IPsec VPN protocol (this was fixed in Android 10 beta, but broke again in Android 10 final). Known bug for over a year. I needed to upgrade to a Pixel 4 XL anyways :)
Just wanted to toss it out there for anyone related to Pixel 3, VPN, and L2TP/IPsec.

PBX-Tech

n3wb
Reaction score
I use to have an ERx and had the same issue when I bought my Pixel 3XL. iPhone/iPad had no issues staying connected. I ended up switching to pFsense /OpenVPN. I have also been a long time user of Ubiquiti's "Unifi Video". After lurking this board for a few weeks I am now moving away from their surveillance system too.

Is your Pixel 4 able to keep the VPN up with the UDM?

Reaction score
Reports say, yes...Pixel 4 or Pixel 2 work. Something was amiss with the coding of the Pixel 3/3a's that they couldn't nail down. I'll know more when the pixel 4 arrives.