Ubiquity Bridges P 2 P 2 P

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to extend the network from 1 to 3. Thinking M2. Thoughts? Also, has anyone bought the preconfigured units?12940.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My advice is don't buy preconfigured units. Ubiquiti radio bridges are easier to set up than IP cameras because they don't require any browser plugins or figuring out unpublished RTSP URLs or similar nonsense. The procedure for setting up a bridge using ubiquiti radios is very well documented online. You'll benefit from learning how they work.

You could achieve your goal with two pairs of point-to-point bridges (4 radios), but you could also do it with 3 radios in a point-to-multipoint configuration. (be sure not to skip the step where you set up a WPA2-AES key!)

Just configure the radio at location 2 as "access point", and the radios at locations 1 and 3 as "station". Obviously the radio at location 2 needs to have a wide angle antenna (I think any Nanostation model should be fine) and be aimed at a point between locations 1 and 3.

If you can guarantee a perfectly clear line of sight, you will probably get the best speeds with 5 GHz radios instead of 2.4 GHz. I'd recommend three NanoStation 5AC Loco (Loco5AC), but be aware those don't come with power injectors like the older models did so you need to buy those separately if you don't already have some spares. The Loco5AC doesn't support standard PoE like you'd use for an IP camera, so you can't just power them with a standard PoE switch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Great info. Are there any guidelines for the max angle for P 2 MP? The distance for the longer leg isn't an issue for 5G?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 5Ghz link well over 10 miles. Works great, won't have any problems with 450'

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
They do claim the beam width is 45° on Loco5AC.
Your angle looks to be right on the edge of that, but given the short range I think it should work. When pointed straight at each other, these Nanostation "Loco" models can reach multiple kilometers. They say 10+ km. You would lose a lot of that range by pointing one radio at two others that are 45° apart, but there's still going to be plenty of signal I think.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I go with 4 units, can the second unit at #2 simply connect to the second ethernet port on the unit receiving from 1? At 3, do I simply connect an AP to the second ethernet net port there?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I go with 4 units, can the second unit at #2 simply connect to the second ethernet port on the unit receiving from 1? At 3, do I simply connect an AP to the second ethernet net port there?
Yes, you don't need to wire in a switch between them if that's what you mean. For each radio you need a 24 volt passive PoE injector. That injector has a PoE port and a LAN port. You connect the PoE port to a radio and the LAN port to whatever you want. You could connect the LAN port to another PoE injector's LAN port, or a network switch, access point, router, PC, IP cam, etc.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

So just to clarify, are you saying I need an injector for the second radio or would POE come from the first radio?