Ubiquity or Ligowave

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I cannot speak for LigoWave products but suppliers seem quite limited.
Ubiquinti has a big following. I have 2 old NanoBeam 5 units between house and shop but only 300 yards apart and have been running about 14 years. Unlike IP cameras, the elecronics are not tightly sealed and with the heavy humidity in my area, they have lasted much longer than I would have ever anticipated.
I recently bought 3 NanoStation AC NS-5ACL because they have a wide beam footprint and though the max sight to sight distance is about 4 miles, withing a few hundred yards aiming them is very forgiving. Priced at $50. each without the needed 24 volt POE power supply has allowed UBNT to sell a bunch of them.
This is just my 2 cents as an amateur hobbyist. To date I have only ran 4 IP cameras between them and the Blue Iris server in the house.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if anyone had to pick a wireless antenna which one would you choose and why?

Ubiquiti - NanoBeam® AC

Thanks, do not know which one would be more reliable.
Ubiquiti all day my friend... Installed a couple of the above (Gen 2 Models) last month for a client as a wireless bridge..... getting solid 302Mbps connection speed.. Wouldn't install anything else.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ubiquiti is always my choice for point-to-point and access points. Good price for prosumer enterprise-class, multi-mode setup, very reliable.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ubiquiti here, too.
In the past 8 years I have installed several as high power outdoor AP's and also a half dozen as wireless layer 2 transparent bridges between buildings and all still cranking along even after these HUGE southeastern U.S. lightning storms.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ubiquiti here, too.
In the past 8 years I have installed several as high power outdoor AP's and also a half dozen as wireless layer 2 transparent bridges between buildings and all still cranking along even after these HUGE southeastern U.S. lightning storms.
@TonyR - My apologies if this is considered "Thread Jacking", but I'm trying to understand what Ubiquiti device you're using for the "Layer 2 Transparent Bridge"? I have a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-PRO-US Unifi Access Point on the back of my home and I have a need for a camera to be placed about 150 ft. (perfect line of sight) from that AP. I've learned on this site that wireless cameras aren't popular, so I'm looking to setup an outdoor bridge and co-locate it with the camera. Can you please provide a bit more detail on what you're using? My application will be outdoors (covered, but still exposed to the elements).

Thank you in advance!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR - My apologies if this is considered "Thread Jacking", but I'm trying to understand what Ubiquiti device you're using for the "Layer 2 Transparent Bridge"? I have a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-PRO-US Unifi Access Point on the back of my home and I have a need for a camera to be placed about 150 ft. (perfect line of sight) from that AP. I've learned on this site that wireless cameras aren't popular, so I'm looking to setup an outdoor bridge and co-locate it with the camera. Can you please provide a bit more detail on what you're using? My application will be outdoors (covered, but still exposed to the elements).

Thank you in advance!
For the Layer 2 Transparent bridge: 2 each Ubiquiti Loco's, 2.4 GHz (LOCOM2US ); also available in 5GHz if too much 2.4 pollution in your area or to suit your UniFi)
=OR=
You could configure 1 as a client (network mode 'bridge', wireless mode 'station', static IP in same subnet as UniFi, WDS disabled, Airmax disabled, Auto channel width) and put on the cam, have it look at and slave to the UniFi's SSID.

There are 2.4 and 5 GHz versions of the smaller Loco and also the larger Nanostation to suit your needs.

Last edited:

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remotely monitoring with UNMS is very useful also. You can monitor the status of all your sites from a phone app.