Uniden DB1 firmware upgrade not completing

MayorGeo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Uniden DB1 and loaded the Uniden app on my iPhone. Tried to upgrade from 1.4.61 build 170821 to 1.4.62 build 180515 and it sat there for 4 hours without completing. I connected again and the DB1 still said it was upgrading. I have tried the HIKVision app and it still shows the firmware is upgrading. It seems to work but I’m not sure what firmware it is on. Already tried rebooting also deleted and reinstalling.

From reading a lot of the forum so far I think I can manually load the new firmware by loading it on a 32G microSD and booting it. I also read that the micro SD card should be FAT32 format. I downloaded the 180809 build from the Neely site but am unsure if it correct. The digicap.dav file has exec in a black icon. The other digicap.dav files are white. I use a MacBook pro and I know a lot of you use a PC.

Q1 Can I upgrade this doorbell via the microSD boot?
Q2 Is the digicam.dav with the exec in a black icon the correct file to use? (see pic)

Uniden tech support was virtually useless. They had no answers and denied that the camera is the same as HIKVison, Neely, or others. They also said the I couldn’t access the camera using safari on my MBP. Wrong! I used the rtsp://admin:pw@102.168.x.x:554/streaming/channels101 and it came right up.

I turn to you my wise brothers for answers to my questions. Thanks in advance.

geo

Attachments

TimTech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Uniden DB1 and loaded the Uniden app on my iPhone. Tried to upgrade from 1.4.61 build 170821 to 1.4.62 build 180515 and it sat there for 4 hours without completing. It seems to work but I’m not sure what firmware it is on.

From reading a lot of the forum so far I think I can manually load the new firmware by loading it on a 32G microSD and booting it. I also read that the micro SD card should be FAT32 format. I downloaded the 180809 build from the Neely site but am unsure if it correct. The digicap.dav file has exec in a black icon. The other digicap.dav files are white. I use a MacBook pro and I know a lot of you use a PC.

Q1 Can I upgrade this doorbell via the microSD boot?
Q2 Is the digicam.dav with the exec in a black icon the correct file to use?
I’m on 1.4.62 build 171225. Up upgraded automatically via the Uniden One app.
I don’t use a mac but would assume the icon you are seeing on the dav file is an icon assigned by your computer. You should be able to copy that firmware file to a formatted SD, insert it to the doorbell, and reboot the device to get it to load. That firmware you downloaded should work. However, I downloaded that and had a note to myself not to use it and I can’t remember why. I read somewhere there were issues with 180809 (try googling). Try to get the 180726. The consensus was that was the best. One of these days I’ll upgrade but mine is working fine right now.

You can verify your firmware version by going to the “Uniden One” screen in the app and selecting the three dots.

You can also go to your camera’s web GUI by logging into the IP address. There is a section in there for uploading a firmware file. Post if you find any improvements with your new firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MayorGeo

n3wb
Reaction score
Success! The updating dot is gone. I loaded 1.4.62 build 180515 onto a formatted 32GB microSD, inserted it, powered it up and booted. It seems to work fine so far using either the Uniden or the HIKVision app. The "exec" file on the SD expanded to a couple of .bin files and 13 .dat files. I removed the SD and deleted those files and reinserted then formatted the SD. The odd thing is the available capacity on the SD shows 2.5GB. "More" shows there are no updates available but I have found 180527, 180726, and 180809 builds. I'll give the 180726 build a try, maybe that will fix the available capacity issue. Thanks again Tim for the advice.

TimTech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad you got it working. I had lots of trouble with the SD card reporting correct information to my Uniden One and Hik-Connect apps. Apps said “no memory card” although I could playback video stored on the card. My notification playback button was frayed out and non-functioning. The card magically reported “normal” and the playback button started working after spending time with Uniden tech support.

Where did you find your SD card available capacity?

My apps also state no new version available although there are many floating around. Have you noticed any differences with the new firmware? Some people in other threads mentioned issues with the doorbell verbal responses to the button push being to loud or annoying.

MayorGeo

n3wb
Reaction score
From the "my device" screen, hit the "more" 3 dots on the bottom right, then go to Pictures and Videos. Capacity is on the bottom of the screen. I can record and playback

From the "my device" screen and going to the 3 dots on the device line, hitting the Alarm Notification, now it shows Draw Motion Detection Area and Motion Detection Sensitivity. I don't remember seeing those on the 070821 build.

Currently I have the DB1 connected directly to the doorbell transformer to update it before I replace the doorbell button on the house. This way I don't have to keep messing with it outside. Downside is I don't know if it causes humming or constant ringing. I'll update to 180726 to see if that changes anything.

TimTech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From the "my device" screen, hit the "more" 3 dots on the bottom right, then go to Pictures and Videos. Capacity is on the bottom of the screen. I can record and playback
My capacity shows 192.1G. I think this is the space left on my 256G iPhone

From the "my device" screen and going to the 3 dots on the device line, hitting the Alarm Notification, now it shows Draw Motion Detection Area and Motion Detection Sensitivity. I don't remember seeing those on the 070821 build.
My version has this same settings.

Currently I have the DB1 connected directly to the doorbell transformer to update it before I replace the doorbell button on the house. This way I don't have to keep messing with it outside. Downside is I don't know if it causes humming or constant ringing. I'll update to 180726 to see if that changes anything.
Careful, you should add the resistor in series if you’re not using a mechanical bell. You could over-voltage the cam.