Unifi Network configuration question

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My LAN runs on Ubiquiti Unifi gear. I have two managed switches as part of this network. All of my cameras are plugged into the POE switch, my BI PC is plugged into my other switch. Am I taking a performance hit by not having the BI PC plugged into the same switch with the cameras? Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
More information is needed. How are the switches connected? Do the connect to a router? If they do there can be performance problems but if they're plugged into each other I don't think there's any problem at all. Maybe a quick sketch of the physical layout of your network would be a good idea to post.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @sebastiantombs. The POE switch is plugged into the router and then the other switch is plugged into the POE switch. When I originally set up the network, I separated my wired devices by plugging POE devices into the POE switch and non-POE devices into the other switch.

Router --> POE switch --> Switch

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You are basically running what I am. I relocated my BI PC so it is away from the POE switch. My setup is BI > main switch > POE switch. I also have Some off shoots to the shed and garage. So those are BI > main switch > second switch > small POE switch.

I haven’t noticed any issues or slowdowns. I think all together I have about 8-10 switches throughout my house/property for various things. All VLAN aware so everything gets sent over trunk lines between switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as the traffic doesn't pass through the router you're fine. Routers, as supplied by ISPs, usually don't have the bandwidth capacity to handle larger loads produced by surveillance cameras.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As long as the traffic doesn't pass through the router you're fine. Routers, as supplied by ISPs, usually don't have the bandwidth capacity to handle larger loads produced by surveillance cameras.
My router is a Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway, I don't use any ISP hardware in my network.