Unreliable Email Notifications from Dahua NVR

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a NVR5216 POE with several HDW5231R-ZEs. The nvr has been setup with IVS zones and email w/ screen cap attachment when the zones are violated. I LOVE this feature but I am really struggling with the reliability of this setup lately. When the system is working well, the zone will be tripped and I’ll get 1 email for the trip notification and 1 with the screen cap at the time of the trip. (This isn’t ideal, but I’ve made it work). As of late, most if not all, of the attachments are not being sent.

Im using a Yahoo mail SMTP server to handle the emailing duties. I’m not sure if this is the issue, am I being throttled for sending too much data? Is there a more reliable mail server, I’ll pay if I need to?

Is there a better option? I have my camera system on a separate vlan, firewalled of from the outside world. I haven’t been successful getting push notifications to work, but would be down to try again if this would give me more reliable captures.

Thanks for the help!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had my Yahoo email for over 25 years and if it wasn't for the fact I'd have so many businesses to contact to change it, I'd get rid of it. It's slow, sometimes takes 10 minutes to send or receive a message, gets a lot of SPAM and is blocked by some ISP's....and I have the NOT free Mail Plus with no ads!

For those reasons I don't use it to send out e-mail from my BI server, as I have my own iPower domain but I would suggest you try another e-mail provider. Mine has been quick and reliable, as BI uses SMTP to e-mail a SMS text message directly to my phone using AT&T's SMS server (my10digitcellnumber@txt.att.net) and it arrives in 5 seconds.

G-mail comes to mind but Dahua NVRs and cameras have had their own issues sending out with G-mail as evidenced by tons of thread on this forum. I know 2FA (two factor authentication) and "Allow Less Secure Apps" has caused some grief. I'm not saying one way or the other with G-mail, you'd just have to try it or perhaps another forum member can chime in with up-to-date advice on G-mail or another provider.

Last edited:

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Tony for the reply. I feel like the Yahoo mail server might be an issue too, but I have nothing to base that off of. In regards to Gmail, I had one hell of a time setting up that and gave up. I’ll start looking for another mail server.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm experiencing reliable performance using Yahoo for alerts on my NVR-4116-4ks2, however...

• I discovered that the implementation of my domain based email service was definitely providing flood mitigation. After some lengthy discussions with the provider, they managed to either disable it or whitelist the sender address/domain/IP/whatever;
  • I think that it's possible that a particularly large number of alert requests will engage flood mitigation at the Yahoo end, however on my system I can't produce that level of traffic.

I have seven cameras with most of them generating alerts. When working around the house, I have observed something like 50 alert emails (comprising event with image and event clear) over a one hour period.

Cheers, Steve

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I went and setup an account with Sendinblue. It is working much better. Dahua is killing me with their 2-3 emails per notification. The free Sendinblue account lets you send 300 emails/day. I almost zapped that yesterday doing yard work.

HrabecB

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I went and setup an account with Sendinblue. It is working much better. Dahua is killing me with their 2-3 emails per notification. The free Sendinblue account lets you send 300 emails/day. I almost zapped that yesterday doing yard work.
Hey. Do you have a screenshot of your configuration with Sendinblue? Obviously hiding your Password. I have a sendinblue account but not sure how to enter information into NVR configuration.