Unsuccessful logins Alert

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tool, or a way natively to send alerts (email, etc.) for when someone tries logging into BI via web browser or mobile app that are unsuccessful? I've looked into BI Tools as well as the options inside of BI, but I haven't seen anyway to do this. I was just curious to see if anyone knew if this functionality was possible.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From a BI options perspective (I don't use BI tools), it appears the only option that could help you might be to auto-ban an IP after XX unsuccessful login attempts. You can do this in BI options > Webserver > Advanced.

That said, warnings, messages, errors, remote access, etc., that end up as log entries in the BI status status window CAN be sent to devices via email, sms, etc. You can do this by opening the status window in BI and then configure status alerts. BUT there's a problem (unless I'm missing something). With the status window open, notice that if you log into BI with a device, you get valid messages regarding the connection (IP address and Server connection). No problem so far. Now, if you purposely try to login with an invalid password to BI from your device, you get no warning or error message in the status window (at least not in my testing). So even if you did have status alerts set to email you warnings regarding unsuccessful login attempts, you wouldn't get any. That may be an issue worth reporting to the developer. I'll go ahead and do that with the understanding that 1) you may have already done so, 2) someone may come along here and let me know that I've missed something, 3) Ken may give me a workaround or 4) Ken may add this to his list of things to do.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From a BI options perspective (I don't use BI tools), it appears the only option that could help you might be to auto-ban an IP after XX unsuccessful login attempts. You can do this in BI options > Webserver > Advanced.

That said, warnings, messages, errors, remote access, etc., that end up as log entries in the BI status status window CAN be sent to devices via email, sms, etc. You can do this by opening the status window in BI and then configure status alerts. BUT there's a problem (unless I'm missing something). With the status window open, notice that if you log into BI with a device, you get valid messages regarding the connection (IP address and Server connection). No problem so far. Now, if you purposely try to login with an invalid password to BI from your device, you get no warning or error message in the status window (at least not in my testing). So even if you did have status alerts set to email you warnings regarding unsuccessful login attempts, you wouldn't get any. That may be an issue worth reporting to the developer. I'll go ahead and do that with the understanding that 1) you may have already done so, 2) someone may come along here and let me know that I've missed something, 3) Ken may give me a workaround or 4) Ken may add this to his list of things to do.

Thanks for this. I didn’t know that messages from the alert window can be sent to devices/email-this will be very helpful. I already have my BI to ban unsuccessful logins from IP’s after a predetermined amount of tries. Also, thank you for reporting this bug to Ken. I am going to play around a bit with this tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I didn’t know that messages from the alert window can be sent to devices/email-this will be very helpful. I already have my BI to ban unsuccessful logins from IP’s after a predetermined amount of tries. Also, thank you for reporting this bug to Ken. I am going to play around a bit with this tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a response from Ken...don't think it was in today's update though:

"So maybe ...

An IP address connects.
Wait X seconds for a successful login ...
No successful login after X seconds, fire an action set list?

THanks"