Upcoming Camera Project Questions

dsmith6

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm currently doing some research for an upcoming camera install at my in-laws farm shop.
I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered or at least be pointed in the right direction.

Some background info:

I plan to install 10 Hikvision cameras:

4 Bullet with motorized zoom (Red)
4 Turret Style (Blue)
2 Mini Domes (Orange)

Overall picture of camera locations.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7e3jv2imtBPXS8kUjMx3TxPsQUnn-NZjOWG3gpPPwzs?feat=directlink

Equipment I plan to use on this project:

Router: ERPro-8
Shop POE Switch: WS-12-250-AC
Cable: PT6LC14 - 400 ft Pre-terminated Fiber Optic Cable - 6 Fiber MM 62.5 Outdoor Armored cable, terminated with LC connectors
Camera Cabling: Ubiquiti Tough Cable
Cable Connectors: TC-Con-100

There is more equipment involved but I won't bore you with all of it

Now to the Questions:

The farm shop is a metal structure wrapped in sheet metal.
How would you guys mount your cameras to it? I'm trying to minimize the amount of holes I drill into the shop.
There are also I-Beams and Channel/C-Beams that some of the cameras will be mounted too.
Drilling holes in the support beams doesn't sound very good.
How do you guys mount equipment to I and C beams?

Here are some pictures I took of the install locations.
https://picasaweb.google.com/107346974911468509331/CameraProject?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPy39IrohdDZAw&feat=directlink

THANKS for reading such a long post...
:redface-new:

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

dsmith6

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using Beam clamps and junction boxes to accomplish this?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am sure you could use a beam clamp with either a junction box or a piece of scrap metal as the base to attach the camera to. Where you might have more problem is getting the cameras mounted to the sides of the building since you are not wanting to put holes in the metal. I don't see anything in your photos that I would use to attach the cameras so I personally would be putting holes in the sheet metal and sealing them after.

dsmith6

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Ruppmeister... I'm not totally against putting holes in the building. I just want to measure twice and cut once. I read somewhere that putting cameras on sheet metal builds are subject to movement due to wind and I should use a large / wide base to spread out the weight.
If someone has already done this and has some tips they want to pass along I would greatly appreciate them.

thanks all