squeaky

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a Foscam setup consisting of the following Cameras and 1 NVR
3 Outdoor Bullets - FI9805P
2 Indoor PTZ = FI9821W v2

Foscam NVR FN3104H

I have not been happy with the performance of the outdoor bullets lately
When trying to view the my cameras in the multi-cam mode in the browser I constantly struggle to get the main stream (720p) mode to show for the outdoor bullets.
The indoor's constantly and consistently show their main stream but the outdoors will cut out all the time.
Not sure why this is but something is quite different with these two different model cameras in how they are sending their video

My questions:
1) is there a better Foscam outdoor bullet than the FI9805P (it is impossible to figure out the differences of their products)?
2) It seems like there is not a lot of love for Foscam, what would be the alternatives everyone would go with? I want a system that has 3 outdoor bullets, 2 indoor PTZs and a NVR. Looking for specific models

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Cat 5 ran to all my cameras
True, the problem may be that these are Foscams, but in my experience the main problem with Foscams is that everyone uses them on wifi and wifi is terrible for IP camera streaming. You say you ran network cable to all the cameras, so maybe it is the NVR's fault. Or maybe you are connecting over wifi to the NVR and that could be the bottleneck. Or the device you are viewing with may be under-powered. There are many possibilities.

The network cable may also be poor quality. Is the power supplied to the outdoor cameras by PoE? That can potentially make a poor cable perform even worse. Also, note that "Cat 5" is an older cable spec that isn't very good anymore. If your cable actually is cat 5, then you might consider swapping it for new cat 6 or at least cat 5e. Also you probably can't tell from looking at the cable but some cables are made from copper-clad aluminum (CCA) which is cheaper but it is an inferior quality especially for PoE applications. Always buy network cable that uses solid/pure copper wires.

squeaky

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts I will try and add some details to each one...
True, the problem may be that these are Foscams, but in my experience the main problem with Foscams is that everyone uses them on wifi and wifi is terrible for IP camera streaming. You say you ran network cable to all the cameras, so maybe it is the NVR's fault.
The problem I am having viewing is off my network at work. When I am home and on the same network everything works fine.

Or maybe you are connecting over wifi to the NVR and that could be the bottleneck.
Same comment as above, except to point out that these are definitely running over the ethernet not wifi.

The network cable may also be poor quality.
That is a thought but all the cameras are using the same cable so I would think they would all have the same problem?

Is the power supplied to the outdoor cameras by PoE? That can potentially make a poor cable perform even worse.
No these are powered by an outlet

Also, note that "Cat 5" is an older cable spec that isn't very good anymore. If your cable actually is cat 5, then you might consider swapping it for new cat 6 or at least cat 5e.
I just double checked the cable and it is actually Cat 6

The point that I have a hard time getting passed is the cameras of the same model #s are behaving the same way
The outdoor ones are having difficulty and the indoor ones are working great.
Since they cams are behaving the same way related to their models I am really thinking there is a problem with the FI9805Ps and multicam view through a web browser.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet you are overloading your internet upload speed at home. Can't say why it would only affect the outdoor cams though.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To add to what @bp2008 said, you indicate you are accessing the a view through a web browser, but didn't mention what multicam view you were using. Is it one that you are using from your DVR? A server from Foscam?

Since it works well at home and not at the office, I am going to have to agree with bp on his assessment that you possibly don't have enough pipe at home to support the outgoing data (upload speed?).

Last edited by a moderator:

squeaky

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe I have a big enough pipe...
I am on Fios [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=rgba(82, 82, 82, 0.498039215686275)]and have [/COLOR][/FONT]75 Mbps Up and Down