Use of SD card etc

Hogweed

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks – first of all, thanks for providing this forum – I think only those of us of a “certain age” remember what it was like before we had them…

Although I fix computers for a living, I know next to nothing about ip cameras, but we get vandalisation of cars etc in our street, so I want to mount one up high on the wall outside, and record activity.

I’m on a very limited budget, and don’t think I have any fancy requirements, so I thought about the “Sricam 720P Wireless Wifi ONVIF CCTV Security IP Camera P2P Outdoor TF SD Slot” (that’s the eBay listing title).

What I can’t figure out is about the SD card. I can't find a manual or anything anywhere which shows you where the slot is – I’m going to have to lean out the window to retrieve it every so often – or how long (eg) a 64GB card would record for. I assume quite a while if it only comes on when motion is detected?

Am I even asking the right questions here? I just want to be able to have the odd look outside with my phone and, if I find a big scratch on my car some morning, pull the card out, stick it on the PC or whatever, and see who did it…

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, you'll just connect the IP camera to your network and view the recordings on the card by logging in to the camera. They are not designed to make you remove the card to get at the recordings.

You should be able to store weeks of video on a 64 GB card if you use motion detection. Otherwise, recording continuously you should not expect more than one week of video on a 64 GB card, and much less if you record at a decent quality level.

Also, don't expect any miracles of reliability or image quality when you buy such a cheap camera. Sricam is not a brand known for quality.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't buy a sricam even if you are very limited on budget. It's cheap crap fro a reason.

How much is your car worth? If someone scratches then unless you know them then good luck getting the police to use this video as identification. It's complete rubbish and unreliable.

You can get a decent camera for £60 (imported like this Sricam one) and an amazing one for £120 locally.

Hogweed

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, don't expect any miracles of reliability or image quality when you buy such a cheap camera. Sricam is not a brand known for quality.
No, I'm sure! Is there a better one you'd recommend which won't completely break the bank?

And I really like the idea of it having its own storage, you see, so that I don't have to keep a PC running night and day to do the recording...