Using BlueIris as a service causes PC to lag, stutter?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Where are your video Writes going to? a dedicated drive? not the NVME i hope.
What kind of motherboard are you running? like a HP/Dell?Lenovo? or a custom board?
is the memory verified to be running in DUAL channel mode in the Bios or in Speccy?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Fenderman always asks people if they used a Media Creation tool, and did a clean install, ( no factory bloatware) hopefully this is the case.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You might have a glitchy piece of hardware in the mix,,,,or two things that don't play well together..........not so much the case anymore, but I recall having PC components that acted badly when asked to perform together.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do not use the latest BI version. Use the latest 'critical or highly-stable' version, which is 5.8.9.10. I am on 5.8.6.7 which was the highly-stable version from February.

Turn off disk optimization and defragmentation.
That is something i haven't tried.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where are your video Writes going to? a dedicated drive? not the NVME i hope.
What kind of motherboard are you running? like a HP/Dell?Lenovo? or a custom board?
is the memory verified to be running in DUAL channel mode in the Bios or in Speccy?
It's a Asus i build all my PCs no HP garbage. Using dual channel ram, video is written to a SSD, NVME has windows on it.

Current pc with the issue is about 2 1/12 years old and has been on 24/7.

Spock9999

n3wb
Reaction score
I just wanted to say I have been having this same issue.

I run BI as a service and this issue generally started with BI versions within the past year or less.

As EDCK indicated, while BI is running, the entire PC is slow and laggy. Even programs and processes not related to BI in any way. Even File Explorer. Even delayed typing sometimes as he mentioned. I load task manager and performance tab to watch the CPU graph, and IT will even stop/pause for a sec then continue.

And as EDCK also mentioned, once the BI service is stopped, ALL these issues go away and the PC works fine.

I have also tried all the sub-stream settings, GPU settings, etc. My main BI disk is a RAID5 volume with qty 4 - 4TB drives. I've tried different settings for that too (cache mode, etc.).

I checked windows event logs. Tried using perfmon (performance monitor) with many different kinds of counters. Hardware appears fine. tried latest updates/drivers/etc.

I don't know what else to check either.

My hardware is...
Asus TUF Z370-PRO Gaming MB
Intel Core i5-8400
16GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
OS/boot drive: 256GB SSD, BI DB on here
BI video disk: RAID5 qty4 - 4TB drives, using built-in MB RAID: Intel Optane

this PC is dedicated for BI in my basement, I only RDP (remote dekstop) it when needed.

I use the web UI3 all the time.

Ok if anyone has any ideas or does find anything out, it would be great to know.

Thank you.

-Spock

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps the Video writes have exhausted the SSD.
2.5 years of continous writes could be an issue. Spinning drives have better longevity for video writes.
Swap out your video storage SSD with another known good drive and see what happens.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perhaps the Video writes have exhausted the SSD.
2.5 years of continous writes could be an issue. Spinning drives have better longevity for video writes.
Swap out your video storage SSD with another known good drive and see what happens.
i did check that and the SSD software says it’s life is at 94%.

not sure how accurate it is.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just wanted to say I have been having this same issue.

I run BI as a service and this issue generally started with BI versions within the past year or less.

As EDCK indicated, while BI is running, the entire PC is slow and laggy. Even programs and processes not related to BI in any way. Even File Explorer. Even delayed typing sometimes as he mentioned. I load task manager and performance tab to watch the CPU graph, and IT will even stop/pause for a sec then continue.

And as EDCK also mentioned, once the BI service is stopped, ALL these issues go away and the PC works fine.

I have also tried all the sub-stream settings, GPU settings, etc. My main BI disk is a RAID5 volume with qty 4 - 4TB drives. I've tried different settings for that too (cache mode, etc.).

I checked windows event logs. Tried using perfmon (performance monitor) with many different kinds of counters. Hardware appears fine. tried latest updates/drivers/etc.

I don't know what else to check either.

My hardware is...
Asus TUF Z370-PRO Gaming MB
Intel Core i5-8400
16GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
OS/boot drive: 256GB SSD, BI DB on here
BI video disk: RAID5 qty4 - 4TB drives, using built-in MB RAID: Intel Optane

this PC is dedicated for BI in my basement, I only RDP (remote dekstop) it when needed.

I use the web UI3 all the time.

Ok if anyone has any ideas or does find anything out, it would be great to know.

Thank you.

-Spock
seems to be a mystery of the real cause, have you tried a old version of BI? I’m at work so unable to test it. :)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to work at Microcenter computer store.
Sometimes custom boards have unexpected defaults and or drivers that cause issues. not so much these days, but seen it on custom builds of my own in the past.
it's a clue that both people having issues are running Asus boards.
Been a long time since I worked there and things have changed, but stability wise, my Dell precision 8th gen i7 has been running BI as Service ( stable older versions) about 2 years with 9-10 cams no issues

Last edited:

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wonder if it’s asus drivers then.

my board is a asus tuf gaming to! Z690

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I built a brand new i7 pc with a asus tuf MB and new NVME drive and it runs great with run as a service on no lag at all.

BTW i did try other versions of BI and they had the same issue.

Spock9999

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. Just FYI my issue turned out to be a complicated RAID issue.
I am using the built-in motherboard RAID (Intel Optane) with qty 4 - 4tb disks in RAID5.
One of the disks is bad but is not reporting bad.
I had to take the PC apart and found out that one of the drives is CONSTANTLY doing some kind of un-necessary seeking, which caused all sorts of volume slow-downs, delays, etc. which, in turn, caused the OS delays, etc. It was doing this seeking issue even without a SATA cable connected.
The reason why the OS slowdown issues stopped, or mostly stopped, when the BI service was stopped, is because BI is the only app using that disk volume, doing its continuous BVR recording, etc.
It was kind of tough to troubleshoot overall but finally found this to be the issue.
Ok just wanted to inform.
thanks!