Using Embedded Works ioT data plans to obtain static IP to get around the double nat problem of using mobile hotspot data as internet access

wilddog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For some time I have been trying to find an easy/cheap solution of using a remote camera system in a location w/o internet access except with a hotspot. The problem has been discussed on here several times and usually seems to get down to reverse SSH tunnel solution. However it looks like Embedded Works offers iot data sim cards that have static IP available. Only the T-Mobile ones have this as an add-on for $20/year. So, what I am wondering is do you think this will work and if so, do you think the unlimited plan ($49/year) that only has 64kbps will be good enough for casual security cam monitoring. It doesn't have to fast, just get the video across if something needs to be looked at. Here are the links.
IoTDataWorks Unlimited IoT SIM Card with 12-Month Service:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think it's going to be a good solution, but here's something you could try, presuming you have a camera in your home to try this with.

First, 64kbps, is that upload limit? Download limit? or both simultaneously? That's a narrow pipe for sure.

If you have cams around your home, and want to see what watching the video through a 64kbps connection looks like, use this or any similar process to limit the bandwidth of your CLIENT laptop or PC's camera viewing app or browser:

Then with your bandwidth limited, try to view the stream of your home cameras, to which you presumably have easy access because they are right there. Play with frame rates and other settings.

You may find that a super low frame rate works well enough.

But beware... "unlimited data" even through a 64kbps limit may add up to enough over time with continuous use that T-Mobile throttles you or hits you with a data cap eventually.

64kbps is basically an old school modem speed. Even 1 frame per second for a 2Mpixel camera might be a challenge, all things considered.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
certainly worth experimenting before investing. might be able to pull the cam's substream at 64kbs or less for monitoring, then (slowly) pull specific snapshots/clips of higher rez if/when needed...

wilddog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys, these are good suggestions. I think I will continue trying both ways, ssh reverse tunnel and look into the static IP sim too. Maybe I can get one to work.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only the T-Mobile ones have this as an add-on for $20/year. So, what I am wondering is do you think this will work and if so, do you think the unlimited plan ($49/year) that only has 64kbps will be good enough for casual security cam monitoring. It doesn't have to fast, just get the video across if something needs to be looked at.

As mentioned above 64kbs would be way too slow for a camera stream.

Here have 5 T-Mobile SIM cards with a no contract $25 unlmited (sort of) per month that I have used now for the last 8 years or so.

I would check out a combo CPE LTE modem if you have LTE access at the remote site.

Just recently purchased one with combo ethernet switch, WiFi and two RJ-11 ports for less than $100 on Amazon. Most of the CPE's for sale these days are sold unlocked.

If you want to DIY it you can utilize a micro router with OpenWRT on it / SIM card and use OpenVPN server on it.

OpenWRT does also have a DDNS add on and a reverse SSH proxy would work on it too.

Last edited:

wilddog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Only the T-Mobile ones have this as an add-on for $20/year. So, what I am wondering is do you think this will work and if so, do you think the unlimited plan ($49/year) that only has 64kbps will be good enough for casual security cam monitoring. It doesn't have to fast, just get the video across if something needs to be looked at.

As mentioned above 64kbs would be way too slow for a camera stream.

Here have 5 T-Mobile SIM cards with a no contract $25 unlmited (sort of) per month that I have used now for the last 8 years or so.

I would check out a combo CPE LTE modem if you have LTE access at the remote site.

Just recently purchased one with combo ethernet switch, WiFi and two RJ-11 ports for less than $100 on Amazon. Most of the CPE's for sale these days are sold unlocked.

If you want to DIY it you can utilize a micro router with OpenWRT on it / SIM card and use OpenVPN server on it.

OpenWRT does also have a DDNS add on and a reverse SSH proxy would work on it too.
Thanks for this information. If you don't mind, which one did you buy?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The paper monthly invoice reads Simple Choice. Originally invoices showed no caps of data. Never pay attention these days.

Googling Simple Choice see:

What's included with Simple Choice

Simple Choice, Simple Choice North America and Family Match Talk & Text plans for your phone are no longer available. If you signed up for one of these plans previously and are looking to make updates to your current plan (such as adding more data, another line, or a Wearable plan, etc.), please contact T-Mobile customer service to see if your account is eligible for the changes. Or, why not make the move to Magenta today!

I am not tethered to any cell phone here and shut them off when home. SIM cards work in my tablets / CPE / phones (Android, iOS or Windows Mobile).

First time I went on line a couple of weeks ago to see the account it shows 5 numbers not registered to any specific hardware.

I originally had grandfathered unlimited accounts from AT&T. (from late 1990's).

AT&T slammed my account and I cancelled my contract with them.

Around the same time saw the T-Mobile offering for as many SIM cards as I wanted with no contract.

Last edited: