Using motion to trigger a speaker

activenet

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to scare pigeons on a roof and I came across a recording of predator sounds, and I want to trigger an outdoor speaker based on a motion alert.
Any ideas for this.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I have alert sounds played on PC speakers and have played specific alerts on a camera's built-in speaker and have not played alerts on an external speaker but the method below sounds doable to me.

NOTE:
With the following method, be advised ALL PC sounds will go to the outdoor speaker. In order to have normal PC sounds go to existing indoor speakers and the desired sound for that motion zone be directed outside, you'll need an additional, separate sound card in your PC which you choose in step #4. I'd opt for a plug-in USB sound device; it's quick and cheap and should work.

1) Insure the desired sound is a .wav file, place it in BI's sound folder at C drive => Program Files => Blue Iris 5 => Sounds
2) In BI, under "Trigger" enable "Motion Sensor" and set up motion zone(s) for the desired camera.
3) In the desired camera, at "Alerts" => "Actions" => "On Alert" , set up a sound, choose the desired .wav file by browsing it the "...." menu to the right
4) The "Output" => "Device" will likely be "default, not specified", your PC's sound card. (See NOTE above).
5) Plug an amplified, outdoor-rated speaker into your PC's green 3.5 mm audio out jack or secondary sound device chosen in step #4.

FWIW, most of this is covered in BI's built-in "Help".

activenet

n3wb
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I have alert sounds played on PC speakers and have played specific alerts on a camera's built-in speaker and have not played alerts on an external speaker but the method below sounds doable to me.

NOTE:
With the following method, be advised ALL PC sounds will go to the outdoor speaker. In order to have normal PC sounds go to existing indoor speakers and the desired sound for that motion zone be directed outside, you'll need an additional, separate sound card in your PC which you choose in step #4. I'd opt for a plug-in USB sound device; it's quick and cheap and should work.

1) Insure the desired sound is a .wav file, place it in BI's sound folder at C drive => Program Files => Blue Iris 5 => Sounds
2) In BI, under "Trigger" enable "Motion Sensor" and set up motion zone(s) for the desired camera.
3) In the desired camera, at "Alerts" => "Actions" => "On Alert" , set up a sound, choose the desired .wav file by browsing it the "...." menu to the right
4) The "Output" => "Device" will likely be "default, not specified", your PC's sound card. (See NOTE above).
5) Plug an amplified, outdoor-rated speaker into your PC's green 3.5 mm audio out jack or secondary sound device chosen in step #4.

FWIW, most of this is covered in BI's built-in "Help".
Excellent suggestion. Thank you.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to scare pigeons on a roof and I came across a recording of predator sounds, and I want to trigger an outdoor speaker based on a motion alert.
Any ideas for this.
Have you seen this thread?