Using Raspberry Pi to call presets

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to call PTZ presets with a Raspberry Pi and use Crontab to execute the commands. I'm not a programmer so I'm basically looking for a point in the right direction. If it can be done, will it work with the PTZ plugged into the NVR's POE ports (virtual host enabled)?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know you need to call PTZ methods using the ONVIF API. I do not know if there is a linux application which can do this. If it can be done, then virtual host should allow it to be done also.

pfer10

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to call PTZ presets with a Raspberry Pi and use Crontab to execute the commands. I'm not a programmer so I'm basically looking for a point in the right direction. If it can be done, will it work with the PTZ plugged into the NVR's POE ports (virtual host enabled)?

There is a ONVIF library in python. I use a couple Pi around the house for logging temperatures and logging my geothermal units data. Some of my python scripts run via crontab. I have begun to get into some IP cameras and would like to integrate them into my home automation system.

I was hoping to do that with ONVIF but I know nothing about it at this time. My goal would be to have the camera do the motion detection and use ONVIF to alert python to handle the recording or other activity in the home automation system. I haven't tried the python ONVIF library yet so I don't know if it has access to the PTZ commands but I would think it might be a start.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a ONVIF library in python. I use a couple Pi around the house for logging temperatures and logging my geothermal units data. Some of my python scripts run via crontab. I have begun to get into some IP cameras and would like to integrate them into my home automation system.

I was hoping to do that with ONVIF but I know nothing about it at this time. My goal would be to have the camera do the motion detection and use ONVIF to alert python to handle the recording or other activity in the home automation system. I haven't tried the python ONVIF library yet so I don't know if it has access to the PTZ commands but I would think it might be a start.
Thanks. I found this:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/onvif

And was able to initialize an ONVIFCamera instance for my PTZ. At least I think anyway. I get errors when I try to execute any commands though. That is as far as i got so far.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is cool - was hoping to find something like this.

Has anyone found anything for C#