Using Solar to Power Cameras

aburfitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have done a few setups for customers now that need to run off solar and had great results.
I have noticed though there is more and more Security cameras appearing on the market that say they will run 24/7. I mean the professional ones for job sites the work construction zones and some have Flood Lights as well. They are normally on a Pole with a Big concrete footing and can be moved between sites.
Not the cheap amazon ones.
When you look at these setups the size of the solar panel and battery don't appear large enough to run the setup for 24 hours let alone run them through bad weather.
So it has me wondering and this is where my questions is, are these cameras run by Programmable timers or use a PIR/Laser to detect motion and then turn on?
Surely they wouldn't be live recording for 24/7.

What are people's experiences with these setups? Have you used them before and what are they like?
I imagine if the camera power is off and the camera has to turn on before it captures the event if could miss the critical events.

I have enquired with a few places but they hide the power specs very carefully and are not very forthcoming with detailed specs. You would really need to hire or buy one and pull it apart to see how it is done.
Which is why I am asking here, I am hoping there are a few experts that set these up everyday that may be able to explain a little more.

aburfitt

n3wb
Reaction score
you can do the math!!! camera and battery spec...
Thanks gpower07, I have done the math. That isn't the question.
Just wondering the specs on the Setups that seem to have solar panels and batteries that are smaller than what I would have expected.

Reaction score
If they use banks of LiPo batteries instead of SLA (sealed lead/acid) or 'gel' batteries, they're likely getting quite good power performance in a smaller footprint.