Using the HFW5241E-Z12E LPR camera with a Tendelux IR Illuminator

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve added Tendelux 120ft IR Illuminator to my HFW5241E-Z12E LPR setup and I’m hoping to get the most out of it. I bought it because my LPR target area is poorly lit from 930pm till 3am. This Tendelux has a 90º view and is $29.98 at Amazon. It sits 70ft from the target area at a 40º angle while the Z12 is 80ft @ a 35º angle.

My nighttime settings are Exposure 1/1000 with Gain 50. Iris 100, Smart IR Off, 3DNR on with a Grade of 30. HLC is 50 with Night B/W, Focus and Zoom @ Manual and IR Illuminator Near and Far @ 100.

I like to follow best practices so I’m trying to avoid camera settings that work against the Tendelux device vs with it.

For example, should the Z12E IR remain off and should the Z12E Illuminator setting still be 100? Should I up the exposure to 1/2000 or reduce the Gain to better utilize the Tendelux beam? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It really comes down to your field of view, angle, ambient lighting and general condition of the plates.

I get clean captures at 1/2000 shutter in complete dark at 175 feet with just the camera IR, while others need external IR at night at 100 feet.

Doesn't really answer your question other than you will need to test it at night and see which works best for your situation.

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It really comes down to your field of view, angle, ambient lighting and general condition of the plates.

I get clean captures at 1/2000 shutter in complete dark at 175 feet with just the camera IR, while others need external IR at night at 100 feet.

Doesn't really answer your question other than you will need to test it at night and see which works best for your situation.
Thanks.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve added Tendelux 120ft IR Illuminator to my HFW5241E-Z12E LPR setup and I’m hoping to get the most out of it. I bought it because my LPR target area is poorly lit from 930pm till 3am. This Tendelux has a 90º view and is $29.98 at Amazon. It sits 70ft from the target area at a 40º angle while the Z12 is 80ft @ a 35º angle.

My nighttime settings are Exposure 1/1000 with Gain 50. Iris 100, Smart IR Off, 3DNR on with a Grade of 30. HLC is 50 with Night B/W, Focus and Zoom @ Manual and IR Illuminator Near and Far @ 100.

I like to follow best practices so I’m trying to avoid camera settings that work against the Tendelux device vs with it.

For example, should the Z12E IR remain off and should the Z12E Illuminator setting still be 100? Should I up the exposure to 1/2000 or reduce the Gain to better utilize the Tendelux beam? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
increasing exposure time will introduce motion blur
increasing gain will introduce noise

set highest exposure that will not introduce motion blur
then set gain for proper exposure

2 cents

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Thanks.
I'm surprise at 70ft you need additional IR illumination, one of my z12 is at 100ft on internal LED just fine

Are the lens of the LED potted in black epoxy? if not you can swap out the lens for a tighter focus. I imagine for 70 ft you will probably want a 15-25 degree lens.

better focus on the lens will increase the IR illumination at your target area, allowing you to use faster shutter and lower gain. If you are not happy with the result from the Tendelux,and if its potted, consider refunding and getting a similar one with un-potted lens.

Here's my adventure playing with IR Illuminator and lens swap... I ended up with IR laser due to how far I need to reach. starts about post#24

I would not recommend laser for your application as 70ft is fairly close and you don't need "super" tight focus

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Z12 is working well and I get usually get good LPR tags. My hope was to brighten the target area for the darkest part of the night. Thanks for linking your post and any tips would be appreciated.

I returned the 120’ model for the 200’ model and here are two pics from last night that look identical to me. The first one is with the Tendelux on and it’s off for the second one. In your pics and others in the forum, the illuminators always added something but it’s hasn’t worked in my case. Should I try the Lonnkey?

Tend Off.jpgTend on.jpg

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is in the scene? Is that a license plate? Are you trying to brighten the overall scene so that you can see more than the plate? Hmmmm....I guess with enough IR you can probably do that. I would note all of your settings, then lighten the scene, slowing the shutter way down, to see if you can see the new IR then. It may be just too high of a shutter speed (not enough IR) to see the additional IR.

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is in the scene? Is that a license plate? Are you trying to brighten the overall scene so that you can see more than the plate? Hmmmm....I guess with enough IR you can probably do that. I would note all of your settings, then lighten the scene, slowing the shutter way down, to see if you can see the new IR then. It may be just too high of a shutter speed (not enough IR) to see the additional IR.
The picture is a 40X40' target area with refection tape on a stake in the rear area and no cars present. I'm at 1/1000 and I'll try walking it down to 1/500 or slower to see how that works. I'm stumped though that the scene with the illuminator visibly on isn't brighter than with it off. Would the illuminator have a greater effect with a slower shutter speed? I'll give it a shot.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is the slower the shutter speed, the worse chance of getting plates.

Remember the whole goal of the faster shutter and IR is to be able to get the nice reflective bounce off the plate, so the picture will be black except for plate and head/tail lights.

This camera is not an overview camera either. It is just for plates, especially at night.

It is totally normal for the screen to be completely black and someone walking around and you not see them. I can stand out in the road at night and not see me at all, yet the plates are fine.

You would need way more IR to start seeing non-reflective items at a 1/2,000 shutter. BTW this is my Z12 at 175 feet with no external IR and no ambient light.

1629812612754.png

Last edited:

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The problem is the slower the shutter speed, the worse chance of getting plates.

Remember the whole goal of the faster shutter and IR is to be able to get the nice reflective bounce off the plate, so the picture will be black except for plate and head/tail lights.

This camera is not an overview camera either. It is just for plates, especially at night.

It is totally normal for the screen to be completely black and someone walking around and you not see them. I can stand out in the road at night and not see me at all, yet the plates are fine.

View attachment 99517
Understood. My captures look like yours so I'm good for LPR. Just testing the boundaries to see if an external illumination might add something to the mix.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For LPR, it would only aid in getting more reflective bounce off the plate to get some of those maybe harder to get plates that are paper or dirty or rusty.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Z12 is working well and I get usually get good LPR tags. My hope was to brighten the target area for the darkest part of the night. Thanks for linking your post and any tips would be appreciated.

I returned the 120’ model for the 200’ model and here are two pics from last night that look identical to me. The first one is with the Tendelux on and it’s off for the second one. In your pics and others in the forum, the illuminators always added something but it’s hasn’t worked in my case. Should I try the Lonnkey?

View attachment 99512View attachment 99513
No... Don't get the lonnkey. The lens aren't standard 20mm lens.

Any of the one like the tenndelux but from the front you can see the pcb should be able to swap lens.

But since you are already getting good result don't think you need that added IR. By the time you get bright enough to see the car, you license plate would be so bright it would get blown out

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To add the picture from my thread where you can see the scene/street are slow fixed shutter like 1/30 just for test and ensure I'm getting additional illumination. The lpr pix you see are same as with wittaj just a bright plate barely seeing the car if at all at like 1/1000 shutter

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No... Don't get the lonnkey. The lens aren't standard 20mm lens.

Any of the one like the tenndelux but from the front you can see the pcb should be able to swap lens.

But since you are already getting good result don't think you need that added IR. By the time you get bright enough to see the car, you license plate would be so bright it would get blown out
Thanks for the Lonnkey feedback. I'm happy with my LPR results so I'll move the Tendelux to my other camera.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got the Tendelux 80ft model and it really doesn't put out much light, but I'm hoping it will at least help to draw the bugs away from the camera.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got the Tendelux 80ft model and it really doesn't put out much light, but I'm hoping it will at least help to draw the bugs away from the camera.
Did you turn the camera's ir off?

Are you going for wide angle coverage or long distance?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are two cameras looking at this area. One is a Dahua Starlight with the IR turned off placed at a distance. The other is a cheap non-Starlight with the IR turned on. The Starlight gets into trouble when it is a very dark and cloudy night. The cheap camera gets into trouble due to constant spider activity. I was hoping to illuminate the entire area from above and help both cameras.