Vehicle speed determination from video

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
A lighthouse makes a wife-acceptable lawn housing for cams, lights, radar guns, etc. What's the red glow on top? Not an IR cannon, it's the lighthouse light...

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
get cameras with lots of zoom and mount them high up, on poles, or in trees, and point them far enough down the road that you get a good angle on the cars/plates. nothing will stop sniper fire unless it's a bullet proof box but the random beer bottles and stuff.
Most of my current cameras are in the $200 or less range and mounting anything high up or by itself becomes a lightening rod in addition to being more noticeable. I do have plans to purchase higher resolution cameras at some point and install them in areas closer to the road to provide better view angles and such which will help. I currently can only get shots pointing straight out towards the road with a narrow point of view so that pretty much limits me to side views of vehicles passing by. If a vehicle pulls into the driveway, then capturing a plate and good quality shots are a much higher possibility depending on the time of day and lighting at the time. As with many things, its something that evolves with time and gets better and better as technology improves and lower prices allow better quality systems without cost prohibitive expenditures.

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A lighthouse makes a wife-acceptable lawn housing for cams, lights, radar guns, etc. What's the red glow on top? Not an IR cannon, it's the lighthouse light...
Good idea. I have at least one neighbor with a bird house, but I'm not aware that he has a camera in it and haven't noticed any glowing red lights either! It would certainly provide a good aerial view.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
A 3' or 4' lighthouse is relatively small and will peek over snowbanks in most places most of the time. We get crazy snow here some years but this year has been really light. One snowfall around a foot and everything else 6" or less with a bunch of rain. Almost nothing on the ground at the moment.