Vera

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anybody using Vera?

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Several years ago I installed multiple thermostats and a Vera controller for a client. The whole setup was extremely reliable other than a couple of times that the remote server was down..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Vera for z-wave stuff. My first one died after a couple years. Then the updated model was a bit faulty; every month or so it freezes up and causes network problems so I have it isolated behind a reverse proxy server. But I still use it because they have a simple HTTP-based API for controlling things. Unlike Samsung Smartthings which I tried temporarily, which is cloud-based BS.

I don't know if the newest Vera controllers still support the same old APIs. If they've turned cloud-only then I wouldn't buy any more from them.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use Vera for z-wave stuff. My first one died after a couple years. Then the updated model was a bit faulty; every month or so it freezes up and causes network problems so I have it isolated behind a reverse proxy server. But I still use it because they have a simple HTTP-based API for controlling things. Unlike Samsung Smartthings which I tried temporarily, which is cloud-based BS.

I don't know if the newest Vera controllers still support the same old APIs. If they've turned cloud-only then I wouldn't buy any more from them.
The new ones are called Ezlo and they are all local, no cloud, with the fastest processors. I'm using a VeraPlus and it's been bulletproof with 80 devices. The Ezlo is on hold and not yet ready for prime time. Z-wave plus doubled the range and improved the mesh. I don't know how they do it. It is still free, no monthly Ching, and the customer service is good.