Very Close Lighting Strike

bmachia

n3wb
Reaction score
Good Day to All,
I just lost 2 Amcrest IP2M-853w's due to a Very close lighting strike. It hit a Radio tower that these cameras were only mounted 5 feet away on the adjacent building. Actually, I lost a lot of stuff, but lets just talk about the cameras here.
I was not really super happy with the 853's. While they could see in the dark, I could not read a License Plate from 75 feet in the Day Light, forget about reading this in the dark.

Its been a few years since I did the research, so I thought I might ask for recommendations.

For my application I really need PTZ. And you are correct it, will probably sit in 1 position 99 percent of the time, but every now and then I need to follow a group walking around.

What is your opinion on an IP PTZ that can read a license plate from 75 feet? (I'm Open and interested in your thoughts).

Thanks
Bill

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look in the LPR, License Plate Reading, thread here. Lots of good information in there. A PTZ is not the optimal solution for LPR due to focus issues under low/no light situations from what I've read. Normally LPR takes a separate, dedicated camera due to the shutter speeds required, especially at night.