Video player software (VLC, media player...), what's best for cameras?

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any player that supports security camera related functions well, such as playing multiple files, zooming, taking snapshots, playing backwards, going one frame forward/backward and so on? I've been using VLC quite a lot, since it is super fast, but I was hoping there would be some better one.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VLC is great if it plays the files you need, I myself don't know of anything better. I'm sure if there is somebody here will give you information. There may be some software that isn't free that could have more options, but it's hard to beat VLC.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends on the NVR and Cameras. For Hikvision their player plays back better as it use their codec.

VLC uses their H264 codec which is different (and can cause errors) but like badmop says "it's hard to beat VLC".

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just realized I had some old version of hikvision player that was not working well. Now I downloaded the latest version and it seems to have everything I need. VLC is still good, but zooming is quite retarded. When using small laptop, zooming is handy.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VLC won't play DAV files will it? I searched and found some info, installed some codecs and it still didn't play the files from my Dahua NVR