Video Surveilance system, picking a direction to go, Questions

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been lurking and learning, (more like trying) and, honestly, most of what you all do is over my head. Lucky my engineer son who works in the server and systems world is going to be the brains of this.

My goal is, up to 10-14 camera system, POE and 1080P or better HD cameras, ability to monitor from iPhones, Droids, Macs, iPads etc.

I am at the pick a direction and go with it point. We will grow the system over time, starting with probably four cameras under very deep eaves monitoring home entry doors.

We would appreciate your feedback on what Jared has come up with as the beginning of a system spec. Cut and pasted below.

Thank you for giving it a look.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is what I would do for Spec’s on the overall system.
We are looking at running 10-16 Cameras for home security and would like to have a direct to disk recording system setup with Blue Iris. This is where we are at on design so far.

In the end, we will want them to be able to remotely access the system, get alerts for certain events etc. I am leaning more towards setting them up an in-house VPN rather than opening up ports to the internet for camera’s. Looks like iPad App is great for mobile monitoring of the Blue Iris configuration.

Network Infrastructure
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Router (DHCP Server) = Buffalo High Power (forget model number) – running DD-WRT
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Netgear ProSafe 24 port 10/100 Switch – Will tie into home network via 10/100 (is this going to bottleneck 10+ cameras). Can switch to Gigabit, or use 2 8 port switched as well
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Monoprice Cat5e or Cat6 – 1000ft – looking for recommendations on crimpers / testers and whether or not to run cat6

Blue Iris Machine
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Either custom built, or dell server (poweredge T130’s have been dirt cheap)
[if !supportLists]· [endif]i7 Skylake or equivalent Xeon CPU (Quick Sync Enabled)
[if !supportLists]· [endif]8-16GB Ram (more if needed, thinking 16GB is more than enough)
[if !supportLists]· [endif]120-240 Solid State Hard Drive (For OS)
[if !supportLists]· [endif]2-4 TB Storage Drives (Raid 5 Ideally, Raid 1 if we can afford 3x drives)
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Windows 7 or Windows 10
[if !supportLists]· [endif]32” 1080P TV or Equivalent for monitor

Camera options – opinions between these two
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I POE Bullet Camera
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Monoprice - IP PoE 2K (2048 x 1536) 3MP IP66 Waterproof Infrared Bullet Camera
[if !supportLists]· [endif]Monoprice has had some coupons – and I can keep an eye on www.camelcamelcamel.com to get a desirable price either way.

Thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.