VideoTeknika NVR not connecting to Smart Hub Plus for CCTV

Zoobs

n3wb
Reaction score
We have upgraded to the Smart Hub Plus and so far the Internet speed is 100 plus which is great. I hope the below makes sense.

The previous EE router was connected to our NVR with a red Ethernet cable and using port forwarding and a DNS name server we had registered for a static IP address so we can access the CCTV remotely and this worked fine.

First of all there is no option to set up dynamic DNS in this smart hub plus like in the previous router. Not sure why they removed this and when spoke to EE they seemed unsure and one said it was for businesses only!

That red ethernet cable is now connecting the new router to the Optical Network Terminal they installed. No problem, I then connected the NVR to any of the ethernet Ports on the router but the device is not showing and cannot work out why the NVR device is not being picked up on the router this way.

If anyone can advise it would be greatly appreciated as to why the NVR is not being picked up on the new router in the ethernet ports.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm guessing the the NVR is mapped to the old router. You will need to locate the network settings of the NVR. Enable DHCP. Reboot NVR and hopefully the NVR will be provided with the new IP address/gateway etc, settings, for the new router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Or assign the NVR's LAN port a unique, static IP in the same subnet as the new router's LAN/gateway but outside of the router's DHCP pool.

Regarding your statement you were "....using.......a DNS name server we had registered for a static IP address so we can access the CCTV remotely", are you referring to a static WAN IP address?

If your public WAN IP is actually static then you you don't need a DDNS unless you prefer to use a hostname instead of using the actual WAN IP. I used NO-IP for years when my WAN IP was dynamic but now that I have a static WAN IP I keep using it because the name(s) are much easier to remember and use. :cool:

Zoobs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the support and advise. The new router now recognizes the DVR when I enabled the DHCP option in the DVR admin panel. I can also access the CCTV through the app but only when connected to the WiFi network and not outside, so this is the last thing to work out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated to access this from outside as beforehand it was linked to the static IP i paid for. I am also guessing I do not need the service i paid for a static IP address now if this works.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll wager the new Smart Hub Plus' LAN/gateway was on a different subnet than the previous EE router and if the new Smart Hub Plus ("SHP") has an embedded webGUI you may have been able to log into it with a browser and changed its LAN/gateway to be the same subnet as what the EE was before.

However setting the NVR to DHCP and it getting an IP from the new SHP sounds like you're in business except for remote access. Regarding that, had someone set up port forwarding before in the EE router? Even though you have a static WAN IP the router would need to be configured so it would direct an incoming request for a specific port to the appropriate private IP.

Or did you scan a QR code or enter a UID number into a smart phone app, which set up P2P using a cloud server?

I'm not promoting port forwarding at all but instead recommend a VPN (not the kind you pay for) for remote access as it would be the most secure. However, a quick glance at the Smart Plus Hub info sounds like it's very locked-down and you'd need a third-party router with VPN capability, like an Asus or Netgear. It could also provide DDNS operation if necessary although not needed if you have a static, public (WAN) IP.