VPN hardware

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for some suggestions on a hardware VPN to use. I have an Orbi RBR50 and tried to use the software VPN solution using the .ovpn file export but it worked in the past and stopped working. Also the Orbi web interface is terribly slow. Tried to export the new file to my iOS device but it no longer works.

Looking for something more reliable like a hardware VPN using OpenVPN client to connect so I can view my cameras using the BI away while. Interested in seeing what others may be using. Thanks!

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB) and run OpenVPN on it. Instructions found on this site pivpn.io . It works extremely well and I use it regularly to view my cameras when I am not at home.

(This RPi also runs PiHole adblocker. A second RPi 4 (4GB) also runs a second instance of PiHole as my second DNS as well as WireGuard VPN, which can also be installed from the above website. Both PiHoles are kept in sync so I just need to add blocklists to one and it will sync to the other.)

My Windows and iOS devices can connect to either VPN when I am outside my home network. You need to set up DDNS if you don’t have a static WAN IP address.

Plug your RPi and router into a UPS. You can run NUT on the RPi for it to monitor the UPS and notify you when it switches to battery power.