VPN kills my Blue Iris remote access

HDRyder9

n3wb
Reaction score
At location A, I have a web cam server [Windows 10 PC with Blue Iris camera software] setup. As per Blue Iris recommendations I have it serving on port 81. I can access it from inside and outside. It works perfectly.

At location B, I have a remote camera setup with a Motorola cable modem, CiscoRV042 VPN router and the camera. I can connect to the VPN via PPTP from anywhere. It works perfectly.

I can connect the Blue Iris/Windows 10 PC at location A to the VPN at location B via the Windows 10 built in PPTP VPN connection. It works perfectly. Unfortunately, when the VPN connection is live the Blue Iris server no longer reachable from the outside. An inside connection still works.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like you need a site-to-site vpn setup, when your using a client-to-site vpn setup.. a client vpn is going to hijack the default route and force everything over VPN.. a site to site VPN is only going to route traffic on the remote network over the VPN.

HDRyder9

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. The old Cisco VPN client allowed split tunneling to only route VPN traffic to the VPN. I guess I'm looking for some "trick" to force the Windows VPN client to split tunnel.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
usually the built in VPN clients dont have this ability, you can try mucking w/the routes manually via command line if you know what your doing.

a 3rd party vpn client usually gives you more options, such as defining your own routes.

HDRyder9

n3wb
Reaction score
Apparently, Win 10 Powershell has the ability to enable split tunneling on an active VPN connections. I'll try that first. That's pretty easy.

HDRyder9

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008,

You nailed it. I wouldn't have found that in a million years and, believe me, I looked. That totally fixed my VPN issue and was way more elegant than trying to run a Powershell script.

Thanks a million. If you're ever in south Florida I'll buy the beer.